Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Forum Safety Section?
Yes, absolutely... safety section please --- 16 (50%)
Nope... I'm super k3wl and invincible! --- 3 (9.38%)
No to a section... a sticky thread would be good enough. --- 13 (40.63%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Forum Safety Section?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 7-11-2013 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by Marvin  
For me where the safety information needs to be is alongside the preps. In an ideal world this might be something like,

...add droppwise 25grams of 20% Oleum (TOXIC CORROSIVE FUMEHOOD THICK-PVC-GLOVES)...

As much as I like the idea of posting each and every potential hazard in a prep thread, that particular example would quickly become annoying to scroll through repeatedly. After all, all of the simple acids and bases would require warnings, a hot plate would require warning, etc....

My thought is that we should have a "Basics" section. Safety could be a big part of this, but so could things like how-to's on distillation, recrystallization, solvent extraction, etc. Unfortunately, the caveat with this idea is the same as with the proposed Geology and Safety subforums/topics: Either they'll be good, and attract a lot of attention, or they'll become a ghost town like Computational Models and Techniques.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 7-11-2013 at 15:25

I too think that the safety warnings ought to be in the preps themselves. Looking back at my Brewster organic lab manual (1960) there are usually only 1-3 safety warnings in any given procedure, and all of them are succinct. Because of this they stand out and I always take them seriously.

Also I think it is silly to warn of being burned when using a hotplate or bunsen burner. Same for the use of commonly used strong acids and strong bases in normal circumstances.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 7-11-2013 at 17:17

I suggest the one safety consideration appropriate for any forum is the use of PGP.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top