Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Unreasonably fast nitration product of cellulose
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 14:50

Antiswat, I think using a very hot solution of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize any residual acids would help. Any residual acids, even a little bit I would imagine, could effect burn speed and performance. Impeding it from drying fully, and faster degradation, at the very least.

I have often boiled in fresh water, (after several ice cold rinses to remove the bulk of acids) and then in a concentrated bicarb solution. After the thorough rinsing only a slow and small evolution of CO<sub>2<sub/> is observed upon addition to the hot bicarb solution. Oh, and speaking of long relation times, more time spent rinsing and nutralizing the better.

Burn speed is so dependant on how the material is fluffed out and the partial size of the piece being lit, and dryness, humidity, size(confinement), etc. What is the purpose of "burn speed?" For propellant use?

If knowing that full and proper nitration has happened is what is desired, then I would agian suggest that consistent controlled impact testing is the best determinant. It won't give you the exact nitrogen content or anything, but if the densities and confinments are identical, and the force from the blow identical, between two identical smooth steel surfaces, then only the "cream of the crop" will detonate reliable. In my experiance.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 30-8-2013 at 05:23

mhm yes.. yes..
but i did once put a little bit of my 99% HNO3 (1 drop) on NC that was pre nitrated and it increased in burnspeed alot, so it IS possible to do!!

anyhow, i have seen the thread with the massive 1.5kg cellulose nitration.. (: and i did see also the thing about the boiling NaHCO3 solution where he received same quality as factory made NC.. very interesting indeed

also for burnspeed.. just because its fun to play around with, perhaps for other future uses, aswell as passing on information of getting the most perfect deflagrant of them all..

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top