Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Reaction of Cu(II), NH4OH, and H2O2
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2015 at 16:57

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

No, because metal ions in solution are hydrated. A generic metal(II) ion in water is better represented as [M(H2O)6]2+.

[M(H2O)6]2+ + 2 NH3 -> M(OH)2 + 2 NH4(+) + 4 H2O

The solvated metal cation as a weak acid reacting with the weak base NH3? Interesting. I've always seen it more as a case of ligand exchange (H2O < == > OH<sup>-</sup>;). Evidence for your pathway?

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by blogfast25]

gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 01:54

So if that's the case the reduction potential for Cu(NH3)4 for 1 molar solution and 0.1 M for ammonia

Cu2+ +4NH3-> Cu(NH3)4(2+)

stability constant of formation for metal complex Cu(NH3)4(2+)
β=[Cu(NH3)4]/[Cu2+][NH3]^4

http://www.vaxasoftware.com/doc_eduen/qui/kfcomplejos.pdf

β=1.1x10^13

Reduction of Cu

Cu2+ +2e -> Cu E0=0.34V

Nernst:

E=E0-RT/2Flog(αCu/(αCu2+)(ae2-)^2)<=>E=E0-RT/2Flog(1/(αCu2+))

[Cu2+]=β[NH3]^4/[Cu(NH3)4]

E=0.39+0.0592/2log([Cu(NH3)4]/(β[NH3]^4))=0.11V

Is that right?

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by gatosgr]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 02:09

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

No, because metal ions in solution are hydrated. A generic metal(II) ion in water is better represented as [M(H2O)6]2+.

[M(H2O)6]2+ + 2 NH3 -> M(OH)2 + 2 NH4(+) + 4 H2O

The solvated metal cation as a weak acid reacting with the weak base NH3? Interesting. I've always seen it more as a case of ligand exchange (H2O < == > OH<sup>-</sup>;). Evidence for your pathway?

Not off of the top of my head, but it is well-known that hydrated metal cations are acidic because the metal cation withdraws electron density from the water ligands.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
gatosgr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 02:25

Some metal salts are acidic some are basic according to lewis theory... ammonia doesnt need water according to bronsted theory.. I was taught these first year along with arhenius theory.. they're ok for beginners I guess.. according to lewis theory the amount of protonation depends on electronegativity of the metal.

That chinese paper is weird it doesnt cancel the ratios... http://chem.xmu.edu.cn/teach/fxhx/fxhxwenxian/Biochemists%20...

https://ch301.cm.utexas.edu/help/ch302/ab/fracspecies.pdf

The fraction of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic isnt that the same as α=γ(c/c0)??

-0.05916/2log(fH2A/D) why is this here it's still dependent on H+ ... how is this solved ?

nobody knows?

I found the graph for ascorbic acid:

AA PH.jpg - 76kB

if you read in the literature ascorbic acid is used for iron and cobalt compounds as well..

So this is why you needed to boil the water for the AA to reduce Cu2+ ΔG=ΔH-ΤΔS.. now you can try with adjusting the ph, ALTHOUGH some metal complexes have ph dependent E0 as well.

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by gatosgr]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2015 at 06:51

Not off of the top of my head, but it is well-known that hydrated metal cations are acidic because the metal cation withdraws electron density from the water ligands.

I was also taught that some solvated cations behave like weak acids because of the repulsion exerted by the central electrical force on the protons:

[M(H<sub>2</sub>O)<sub>6</sub>]<sup>z+</sup> + H<sub>2</sub>O < === > [M(H<sub>2</sub>O)<sub>5</sub>(OH)]<sup>(z-1)+</sup> + H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup>

Especially for z = 2, 3, ... and small ionic radius.

Quote: Originally posted by gatosgr  
Some metal salts are acidic some are basic according to lewis theory... ammonia doesnt need water according to bronsted theory.. I was taught these first year along with arhenius theory.. they're ok for beginners I guess.. according to lewis theory the amount of protonation depends on electronegativity of the metal.

That chinese paper is weird it doesnt cancel the ratios... http://chem.xmu.edu.cn/teach/fxhx/fxhxwenxian/Biochemists%20...

https://ch301.cm.utexas.edu/help/ch302/ab/fracspecies.pdf

The fraction of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic isnt that the same as α=γ(c/c0)??

-0.05916/2log(fH2A/D) why is this here it's still dependent on H+ ... how is this solved ?

Does it have to be solved? You have an expression for E<sub>red</sub> = f(pH) anyway.

Can it be expressed only in concentrations and equilibrium constants? I think so but it’s not worth the effort, I think. It's likely to lead to a polynomial [H<sup>+</sup>]<sup>3</sup> + etc. Not neat. That's why they keep it implicit, IMO.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top