Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sodium Acetate Electrolysis
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 12:49

@blogfast25

Yeah, I'm on my cell phone and it looks like it's sort of mobile page... Otherwise I get the proper copper carbonate link if I just type "copper carbonate" instead of CuCO3.

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 12:53

It still works, I've tried it. It's very slow, and a lot of current is wasted heating the solution.
Quote: Originally posted by xfusion44  

a)Electrolyze a solution of NaHCO3 and then use copper carbonate with acetic acid to obtain copper acetate?
Also, if I'd use option a, how would I separate NaOH from copper acetate?

You won't need to, copper hydroxycarbonate is highly insoluble, just filter it and dry it, you could even decompose it to copper oxide/hydroxide. Then add it to acetic acid solution to make copper acetate.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 12:56

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
It still works, I've tried it. It's very slow, and a lot of current is wasted heating the solution.

a)Electrolyze a solution of NaHCO3 and then use copper carbonate with acetic acid to obtain copper acetate?

You won't need to, copper hydroxycarbonate is highly insoluble, just filter it and dry it, you could even decompose it to copper oxide/hydroxide. Then add it to acetic acid solution to make copper acetate.

Thanks ;) But would that be the option to go with?

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 12:59

Ok, thanks to both of you :)

So, would be better to:

a)Electrolyze a solution of NaHCO3 and then use copper carbonate with acetic acid to obtain copper acetate

b)React NaHCO3 and CH3COOH and then electrolyze solution to make copper hydroxide and react it with vinegar to make copper acetate

c)Simply electrolyze vinegar with higher voltage

What would you prefer?

Thanks

Stop using the term copper carbonate or blogfast may go postal :D It's called 'basic copper carbonate'.

You won't need to separate the NaOH from the copper acetate. When you filter you basic copper carbonate, you wash it at the filter thereby getting rid of sodium salts. Then when you react the washed precipitate, you should get a reasonably pure solution of copper acetate. Purify further by performing a controlled crystallisation.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 13:01

zzzzzz...
Oh, what? That again...?
Option A "Electrolyze a solution of NaHCO3 and then use copper carbonate with acetic acid to obtain copper acetate" You could use either sodium carbonate, bicarbonate or hydroxide. The first two will precipitate Malachite the latter copper hydroxide. Add the precipitate to vinegar, Malachite will bubble carbon dioxide, hydroxide will just dissolve.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 13:07

@deltaH

Would it be better to call it dicopper carbonate dihydroxide? :D

@Molecular Manipulations

Ok, thanks :) I'm sorry for questioning so much, I'm not a pro :D

deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 13:07

Sodium hydroxide as electrolyte would probably give you the highest possible rates, so if you have lye, use it, as opposed to using carbonates which won't dissolve as well, but in the end, they should all work.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 13:10

@deltaH

Ok, thanks

xfusion44
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2015 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  

1) Shouldn't I get NaOH? If there would be NaOH, how would I be able to separate it from copper acetate?
2) Also, could I make copper acetate by electrolyzing solution of NaHCO3 and then react obtained CuCO3 with vinegar to make copper acetate?

1) That's why it won't work with sodium acetate. Sodium hydroxide is a very strong base, and will give a hydroxide ion to a copper (II) ion to precipitate copper (II) hydroxide.
2) Well "CuCO3" doesn't exist, but you might be able to get a hydroxycarbonate to precipitate. I wouldn't do that though, you could use the copper hydroxide from the sodium acetate cell.

I've forgot to mention this:

When you said, that I'd get copper (ii) hydroxide...

Copper hydroxide is almost insoluble in water, so I'd be able to obtain it by filtration, but what I've forgot to mention is, that I didn't add enough baking soda to react with all of the vinegar, so I still had a lot of vinegar in the cell during electrolysis, so I think that it reacted with copper hydroxide immediately when it was created in the solution.

So, I filtered solution and there was no precipitate on filter, probably because of excess vinegar.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top