Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  30
Author: Subject: Moonshiners' 'Thumpers': Myth or Reality?
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
I was under the impression that the liquid level in the thumper doesn't keep increasing post start-up, no?

But Delta, HOW CAN THAT POSSIBLY BE?? An uncooled pot like that MUST act in part as a condenser, BY DEFINITION, almost!

In part, but the heat losses to the air is small, it doesn't have a large surface area and it's convective cooling which is also not large, compared to a water cooled condenser that is.

I read http://homedistiller.org/equip/designs/thumper to try to answer this issue of the size of the thumper, they make the point that you don't want it too small because the extra alcohol has to come from the volume of what was originally placed there and as it's depleted, it works worse and worse until it has little effect. That makes sense to me, so yes, that jar does look a little small, but then again, it is recommended to use distillate tails to charge it, which would help to have more alcohol in a smaller volume of course.

There's probably an optimal size born out of experience with these things. I'd say it's probably made as large as the tails generated from distillation from a certain sized rig.

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:11

In part, but the heat losses to the air is small, it doesn't have a large surface area and it's convective cooling which is also not large, compared to a water cooled condenser that is.

Totally subjective. What if you use a fairly large copper thumper on a cold night in the Appalachian Mountains? ;)

The point stands: the thumper MUST fill up, slowly or quickly is fairly irrelevant.

There's probably an optimal size born out of experience with these things. I'd say it's probably made as large as the tails generated from distillation from a certain sized rig.

Look at the designs on the Tinkerwebs: there's no real discernable pattern.

[Edited on 17-2-2015 by blogfast25]

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:21

The point stands: the thumper MUST fill up, slowly or quickly is fairly irrelevant.

I think there need merely be enough room for one run... what's that, a couple of hours for a couple gallon still?

You could also do something exotic, like pipe a tube with a tap to 'relieve' it back into the still periodically during a run and have an easy way of filling it with fresh distillate afterwards. Then you would have true reflux... well the batch-wise equivalent anyhow ;)

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:25

That makes sense to me, so yes, that jar does look a little small, but then again, it is recommended to use distillate tails to charge it, which would help to have more alcohol in a smaller volume of course.

Why not put 100 % proof in it? Then claim you're 'doubling'? Could work but not what we're discussing here.

Yep, turn it into a proper refluxer, again: not what we're talking about. Not the thumpy people either...

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:32

That makes sense to me, so yes, that jar does look a little small, but then again, it is recommended to use distillate tails to charge it, which would help to have more alcohol in a smaller volume of course.

Why not put 100 % proof in it? Then claim you're 'doubling'? Could work but not what we're discussing here.

Yep, turn it into a proper refluxer, again: not what we're talking about. Not the thumpy people either...

The thing is, as I understand it, there's no need for a proper reflux for making 'likker' since it's not that difficult an enrichment based on the phase equilibrium discussed earlier. So really, this seems to be a very simple solution that gets the job done. If so, then hats off :cool:

The only advantage from more trays and employing reflux is you can increase the alcohol recovered because employing a reflux ratio gives you that extra degree of freedom, but that comes at the cost of extra energy consumed to run the boiler, so really that 'ain't free neither'.

Apologies... I feel the need to start speaking 'billy. :D

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:40

delta H:

Of course it's not free, whatever you do. No contest.

Secondary argument (already made to be fair):

If this little trick works, how come you don't read about it in engineering textbooks, journals or even half-decent internet sources (you know, the ones that might feel the need to substantiate things with experimental data)?

I posit it to you that it's for the same reason no decent person would publish anything substantiating the 'HOH' crapola: it DOESN'T WORK!

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:47

"it DOESN'T WORK! "

I'm waiting for the experimental evaluation from you and SM members before calling it, since to me it looks at least plausible.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 12:56

"it DOESN'T WORK! "

I'm waiting for the experimental evaluation from you and SM members before calling it, since to me it looks at least plausible.

You've not addressed my point though: if it does work why is the information available about it of such abominable quality? Not to mention scarce?

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 13:09

"it DOESN'T WORK! "

You've not addressed my point though: if it does work why is the information available about it of such abominable quality?

Cause snobbish academics wouldn't touch anything 'billy with a ten foot pole :P

To be fair though, this is just another way to operate a distillation process, there's probably case specific weird and wonderful setups and tricks employed in industrial columns not necessarily well published, they are just simply different designs and variations on a theme. The toolbox for variation on distillation is vast, you can use re-heaters, pump-arounds and and and... I don't even know half of all the crazy things that can be done and is done in this field. So basically, I think it's not commented on by the greater scientific community because it's application is a bit narrow. It suites 'shining, but really the advantages are not that great out of that context were other means would suit better.

...and maybe there is reliable literature out there somewhere to be unearthed. I doubt the keyword "thumper" would be referenced in the type of literature you're looking for, so in short, it probably is out there somewhere.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 13:18

[...], it probably is out there somewhere.

A bit like Bertrand Russel's Celestial Teapot? :D

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 13:26

I'm trying to dig through patents now, because this sounds like the kind of thing that would have been patented at some point in time. A patent usually publishes some numbers in their 'examples' section.

No luck yet, probably because of the vast wealth of distillation related patents out there and also the funny unnatural language patents use.

[Edited on 17-2-2015 by deltaH]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 13:32

Cause snobbish academics wouldn't touch anything 'billy with a ten foot pole :P

Lily-livered librul academics are 'fraid they's gonna beat up by them billys with their baseball bats, for publishing their Appalachian secrets, bro. What goes on in Appalachia stays in Appalachia!

deltaH

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 13:44

it's called a double retort:

copper-rum-still-with-double-retort.jpg - 11kB

Notice what appears to be overflow pipes to return liquid to the still :cool::P

see here:

http://eatsdrinksandsleeps.com/page/5/

Image looks very old. Apparently standard in the traditional rum making method?

I used google's similar image search and found another in an old book where it also appears to be used but called a rectifier.

See (PS. scroll down):

http://chestofbooks.com/food/beverages/Alcohol-Properties/De...

[Edited on 17-2-2015 by deltaH]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:09

In reference to the submergence of the vapor pipe from the still: I don't know how much the typical moonshiner submerged the outlet but it would elevate the bp of the wash in the pot above that obtained using atmospheric pressure. 2.3 ft of water submergence is equivalent to 1 psi.

Zombie is likely taking one much needed nap, or he had to go to work, or both. He has been giving his all for science.

my math is sound math.jpg - 58kB

[Edited on 17-2-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:25

it's called a double retort:

Notice what appears to be overflow pipes to return liquid to the still :cool::P

see here:

http://eatsdrinksandsleeps.com/page/5/

From that link:

Quote:
Alcohol boils as at lower temperature (78.3° C) to water 100° C. So when the pot still is heated, alcoholic vapour will be released before water is, it passes into the low wine retort, a second copper vessel which contains an alcoholic mix of low wines and water. The hot vapour passing through, boils the liquid in the retort, releasing its most volatile components. This vapour is now more concentrated in flavour and is carried through to the high wines retort, where the process is repeated. The vapour is now high strength and is condensed. By adjusting the composition of liquids in the low and high wines retorts, a distiller can create a range of different flavours.

The 'thumpers' are already charged with alcohol.

Eatsdrinksandsleeps, science 101 indeed!

Oh, yes: 'chestofbooks', Zzzzzzz....

Is that all you've got?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:29

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
In reference to the submergence of the vapor pipe from the still: I don't know how much the typical moonshiner submerged the outlet but it would elevate the bp of the wash in the pot above that obtained using atmospheric pressure. 2.3 ft of water submergence is equivalent to 1 psi.

Zombie is likely taking one much needed nap, or he had to go to work, or both. He has been giving his all for science.

C'mon Magpie, you're grasping at straws. Do you know what the influence of 1 psi on BP is??? :(

Next you'll come up with bubble sizes, surface tension and air humidity! :D

"... his all for science". I assume there was an emoticon missing there! :D

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:30

deltaH: The last link shows a pipe that I interpret as the return flow, making it a full stage. The first one is harder to tell, but there is something there as well.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:39

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
deltaH: The last link shows a pipe that I interpret as the return flow, making it a full stage. The first one is harder to tell, but there is something there as well.

Both look exactly the same. But full stages that leak heat unimpeded? The heat loss must cause extra condensation.

More like inefficient refluxers...

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 14:59

It's the same principle really. Whether the reflux is controlled by an external condenser and divider or by partial condensation in the stage itself is irrelevant for the principle. It acts like a cooled fractionating column, not unlike what we would set up in the lab.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 15:18

To my simple mind it seems like this :-

Start Condition: Boiling pot & Thumper pot contain e.g 50w% EtOH, equal volumes

Begin heating Boiling pot.

EtOH starts leaving Boiling pot, and instantly condenses in the cooler Thumper pot liquid.

This increases the Thumper pot volume, temperature and w% of EtOH.

Eventually the temperature in the Thumper pot is sufficient for the EtOH in there to begin leaving, to be recovered in the condenser.

The main difference is that the now boiling Thumper liquid has a higher w% of EtOH than the original Boiling pot liquid.

Would anyone here have any experience in Ethanol/water distillation where the w% of the stock liquid has a marked impact on the w% of the distillate in a simple distillation ?

Would a higher concentration of ethanol:water impact in any significant way on the distillate concentration ?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 15:23

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Would anyone here have any experience in Ethanol/water distillation where the w% of the stock liquid has a marked impact on the w% of the distillate in a simple distillation ?

Would a higher concentration of ethanol:water impact in any significant way on the distillate concentration ?

These questions are quite accurately answered by the EtOH/water boiling point/composition diagram, which delta H linked to a few pages higher up.

Here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=61566&...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 15:45

Dullard that i am, the graph is a bit incomprehensible, with the X axis labeled 'Y ethanol' and the Y axis unlabelled.

If i understand anything from it, does that mean that you get a bigger w% EtOH change starting from a Low EtOH concentration than you would starting from a High EtOH conc ?

If so, the w% of the Thumper liquid should end up fairly close to that of the end product.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 16:03

Aga:

x axis is EtOH, y axis is water. The curve relates the vapour composition (higher in EtOH) to the liquid composition (lower in EtOH).

Each 'step' of the 'stairs' shown is 1 single stage distillation (= 1 evaporation + 1 condensation).

Start from a higher EtOH, you end up with a higher EtOH. More 'steps' also means more EtOH.

The number of 'steps' depends on set up: Vigreux = more steps than no Vigreux for example...

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 16:23

Aga:
x axis is EtOH, y axis is water. The curve relates the vapour composition (higher in EtOH) to the liquid composition (lower in EtOH).

No, I think that the x-axis is "mole fraction ethanol in liquid" and the y-axis is "mole fraction ethanol in vapor." I have this same diagram in my "Principles of Unit Operations" book by Foust et al. It is a vapor-liquid equilibrium (VLE) diagram for the system ethanol-water. deltaH please verify.

One of the often repeated phrases in this discussion is that heating a solution of water and ethanol drives off ethanol as a vapor as if it were only ethanol that was evaporating. Ethanol is never alone in the vapor but is always accompanied by water vapor.

x-y diagram for water ethanol with steps.jpg - 35kB

[Edited on 18-2-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-2-2015 at 16:25

Oh.

Start with more, get more, just Less % difference.

So if the starting condition was the same in the Boiling pot and the Thumper, then the increased EtOH concentration in the Thumper pot *before* it starts boiling Will give a higher EtOH concentration in the end product, as it will be starting from a higher EtOH conc.

If so, it should end up the case that the Thumper output will have a higher w% than a straight non-Thumping distillation.

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  30

Go To Top