Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lactucarium, separating the active ingrediants
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:00
Lactucarium, separating the active ingrediants

wild lettuce, also known as lactuca virosa (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_virosa) for more information

the active ingrediants in this plant are lactucopicrin and lactucin.
these are components of the latex material that comes out of the plant when it is cut known as Lactucarium.

i would like to find a way to extract these into a relatively pure form, so there at least a powdery crystal substance or that would be ideal. but sense these are Sesquiterpene Lactones, and not alkaloids
im utterly lost on how one migth extract these from other organic junk in the plant

as i read from a site you can extract these Sesquiterpene Lactones using IPA and water, this i belive will get most of them out
but now the question is how do you get all the other stuff out of that also? such as the chlorophyll, sugars, oils, ect

i could ramble on bout all sorts of ways to extract it, but i wouldnt really know what i was talking about!
so i thought if any of you guys knew how to extract some types of Sesquiterpene Lactones perhaps you guys could be off some help?

also.. i got this from some sight.. i think it goes into more detail of what is in the wild lettuce plant and from its looks it seems that calcium hydroxide could be added to perhaps percipitate some salt of the lactucic like acids?

"Composition - L. virosa has been found to contain lactucic acid, lactucopicrin, 50 to 60 per cent lactucerin (lactucone) and lactucin. When Lactucarium istreated with boiling water and filtered it is clear, however, when it cools it becomes cloudy. It is does not turn blue by iodine test solution. The usual components of latex are albumen, mannite, and caoutchouc. The fresh, acidic juice colors litmus paper red."

also this link my be of some help for those who are also interested in such things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucarium

roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:27

i love this article

The fractionation of valuable wax products from wheat straw using CO2
http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleFo...

ok so spit it out... what are we doing here...giving allergies to cows, curing malaria, or coping a 21 cenntury buzz...
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:42

haha i want to see if i can extract it and then alter it some how some way to make it stronger and more powerful
i want to learn how it reacts in the human body also, and how the human body reacts with it
but i dont plan to ingest it in anyway
maybe on give it to rats or something :)

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 30-1-2007 at 09:49

Lactucin is known to steam distill.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 17:40

are you sure about that?
i thought it was destroyed with heat..
i read that a few times somewhere at least

roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2007 at 20:55

here you go

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p16hq7574122q615/

Summary The release of lactucin, 8-deoxylactucin and lactucopicrin, all sesquiterpene lactones, which are bitter constituents of chicory, has been studied during enzymatic liquefaction of chicory roots with commercial pectolytic and cellulolytic enzymes at 40 °C for 24 h. After 5–8 h most of these bitter compounds are found in the liquid phase (supernatant) and not in the sediment (residue), except for lactucopicrin, which ist hardly soluble in aqueous solution.

enzymes do it again....

Go To Top