Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thermal decomp of Salicylic acid -> phenol - odd results
deadrush
Harmless

Mood: Fungible

[*] posted on 14-8-2024 at 16:00
Thermal decomp of Salicylic acid -> phenol - odd results

As the title says, that is what I did. I used a bunsen burning w/ propane and heated a rbf attached in a vacuum distillation setup. Admittedly, there were a few hiccups, the biggest being the condenser filling with sublimated salicylic crystals and eventually clogging. However, there was a significant quantity of light pink throughout the clog. I scrapped all the precipitate out and dissolved in excess distilled water. Now, there was a small amount i could not manage to get into a solution. I decided to try heating and stirring. I threw the beaker in a microwave for 1.5min. Afterward, I moved the hot beaker to a stir plate.

Now, here is where it gets strange. After 3 or so heat & stir cycles, I noticed crystals forming on the bottom, white/ clear ones, at the peak temperature. This happend everytime I removed the beaker from the microwave. After cooling and stirring 98% of solids were in solution.

From all the possible outcomes from thermal degradation of salicylic acid, i could not think of one with reverse solubility.

So I do plan on attempting to isolate what phenol I can from this if any. Any suggestions?
I also plan to redo the experiment in its entirety. If i change to a lieberg condenser and a oil bath for heating, that would solve the sublimation problem right?

745359795.jpg - 757kBIMG_0467.jpg - 152kBIMG_0469.jpg - 209kB
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2024 at 20:15

I'd try adding NaHCO3 or Na2CO3 to the solution in excess then extraction with some water-immiscible solvent. Ethyl-acetate would be nice but there are others too. Water phase: unreacted salicylic acid as sodium salt, organic phase: phenol (and possible other things).
At least this behaviour is what I would expect.

Go To Top