Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of vanadyl acetylacetonate
Niklas
Harmless

Mood: Polymerized

[*] posted on 2-8-2024 at 14:51
Synthesis of vanadyl acetylacetonate

Alright everyone, hello again.

Today I‘ve once again come to experience the horrors of yellow chem, and had the reactions regarding one of my larger projects turn into a some shitty tar. So, to get over this pain, I thought of finally doing a simpler, visually appealing inorganic synthesis I‘ve been setting aside for a while now, making vanadyl acetylacetonate.

IMG_7032.jpeg - 339kB
Fig.1: Structure of vanadyl acetylacetonate

As my vanadium source I‘m using ammonium metavanadate, which can be converted into the desired product in three steps [1][2].

image.png - 30kB
Fig:2: Synthesis of vanadyl acetylacetonate

All chemicals used in this preparation were purchased from reputable chemical suppliers, primarily Merck and S3-Chemicals.

The first step usually results in quantitative yields, so I didn’t take much effort documenting the exact quantities used of each reagent.

Vanadium(V)-oxide:
To start off a random amount of ammonium metavanadate was added to an erlenmeyer flask and suspended in just enough destilled water to result in a free flowing slurry. Under constant stirring fuming hydrochloric acid was carefully dripped into the suspension until no more color change could be observed. The product was finally removed by vacuum filtration, washed with additional destilled water, and dried in a vacuum desiccator. The vanadium(V)-oxide was collected as a black solid with an metallic shine.

20240512_122252.jpeg - 141kB
Fig.3: Suspension of ammonium metavandate

20240512_122923.jpeg - 420kB
Fig.4: Precipitate consisting of vanadium(V)-oxide

Vanadyl sulfate:
0,38 g of the previously prepared vanadium(V)-oxide was suspended in a mixture of 1 ml destilled water, 2 ml absolute ethanol and 0,7 ml of 96% sulfuric acid. A reflux apparatus was set up and the mixture was heated for 30 minutes, during which time the solid dissolved and a dark blue solution containing the desired vanadyl sulfate remained. This solution can directly be forwarded to the next step without any isolation of the intermediate.

20240802_183036.jpeg - 208kB
Fig.5: Suspension of vanadium(V)-oxide

20240802_184811.jpeg - 377kB
Fig.6: The apparatus used in this preparation

20240802_191821.jpeg - 254kB
Fig.7: Solution of vanadyl sulfate

Vanadyl acetylacetonate:
To the previous solution of vanadyl sulfate 1 ml of acetylacetone was added, causing the mixture to quickly darken. While stirring, a solution consisting of 1,6 g of sodium carbonate dissolved in 10 ml of destilled water is prepared, and slowly dripped into the reaction mix. During this time a teal solid gradually precipitated, which was removed using vacuum filtration and dried in a vacuum desiccator. For further purification the product was recrystallized from anhydrous chloroform. The vanadyl acetylacetonate was collected as small teal / cerulean crystals.

IMG_7045.jpeg - 1.3MB
Fig.8: Precipitate consisting of vanadyl acetylacetonate

IMG_7044.jpeg - 1.1MB
Fig.9: Crude vanadyl acetylacetonate collected by vacuum filtration

20240802_215826.jpeg - 470kB
Fig.10: Recrystallized vanadyl acetylacetonate at 4x magnification

0,705 g ; 63,6% yield, 75-83% in lit. (V2O5->VO(acac)2)

Literature:
[1] https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470132364.ch30
[2] https://patents.google.com/patent/CN109336177B/en

Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 01:19

Great preparation, nice pictures! I like the colorful chemistry of complexes.

Could you highlight some potential uses of the product? I mean, colorful chemistry is one thing, if you can use your product (as a highly efficient catalyst e.g.) in an entirely different reaction that is real "coolness"! :D
Niklas
Harmless

Mood: Polymerized

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 03:01

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  
Could you highlight some potential uses of the product? I mean, colorful chemistry is one thing, if you can use your product (as a highly efficient catalyst e.g.) in an entirely different reaction that is real "coolness"! :D

Oh yeah, absolutely! That’s the reason I love making metal acetylacetonates, they aren’t just beautiful to look at, but actually useful as affordable catalysts.
Most notably vanadyl acetylacetonate allows for selective epoxidation of allylic alcohols in the presence of t-BuOOH:

IMG_7046.jpeg - 112kB

There is a bunch more niche applications as well though, some of which can be found on the following page:

https://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB06...

Personally I‘m particularly interested in its ability to perform asymmetric oxidations of disulfides, which I may make use of in a future project on making allicin from glycerin:

IMG_7047.jpeg - 182kB
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taste testing the Tonka fuel

[*] posted on 6-8-2024 at 14:40

Transition metal acetylacetonates are currently studied as catalysts for safer "green" hypergolic rocket propellants, with high test peroxide as oxidizer. For example, in this paper manganese acetylacetonate is used: https://doi.org/10.1002/prep.201700268

Since hydrogen peroxide is not hypergolic with most "green" fuels, it needs a catalyst. Acetylacetonates has the advantages over inorganic salts: they are partly combustible and they dissolve well in organic solvents.
Theoretically, vanadyl acetylacetonate should perform a bit better than manganese(II) acac, since V is lighter that Mn (less effect on the specific impulse). So that cerulean powder can have a celestial application.

If you have a concentrated peroxide, you can (very carefully) test whether it's hypergolic with solution of vanadyl acetylacetonate in ethanol. It's usually done by dropping a tiny amount of one component into a tiny amount of another.
Edit: attached paper

[Edited on 7-8-2024 by EF2000]

Attachment: Effect of Alcohol Carbon Chain on Enthalpy of Combustion and Ignition Delay.pdf (917kB)
This file has been downloaded 22 times

Wroom wroom
"The practice of pouring yourself alcohol from a rocket fuel tank is to be strongly condemned encouraged"
-R-1 User's Guide

Go To Top