Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Separating Toluene from N-Butyl Acetate
AndrewOfWallachia
Harmless

Mood: YAHAHHA THE YPERITE BLISTERS!

[*] posted on 28-6-2024 at 10:14
Separating Toluene from N-Butyl Acetate

Very simple question. Toluene has a boiling point of 110 C, N-Butyl Acetate has a boiling point of 126 C. Is it feasible to separate them through distillation with a fractionating column?
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2024 at 11:24

yes
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2024 at 21:03

Luckily they seems not to form any azeotrope:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14484
How much pure do you need them?
I performed a column distillation of a mixture with similarly narrow b.p. differences (fermented apples) - methanol, 80% ethanol, ethyl acetate, water. Methanol boiled first, then an azeotrope of ethyl acetate+ethanol+water, then main fraction azeotropic ethanol+water.
I used 1 meter long 30 mm diameter Hempel column packed with Raschig rings (cca 5-10 x 5-10 mm), insulated the column with a lot of turns of newspaper (vacuum jacket would be better) and variable ratio reflux distillation head with reflux:takeoff ratio cca 5:1.
My friend performed a gas chromatography analysis and concentrations of contaminants (methanol, ethyl acetate, higher alcohols) were all below 0,1%. But do not expect such good separation when using less efficient column (like Vigreux, or a colum without good efficient packing) and when not using reflux ratio adjustable distillation head.
night429
Harmless

Mood: :o

[*] posted on 28-6-2024 at 21:46

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
I performed a column distillation of a mixture with similarly narrow b.p. differences (fermented apples) - methanol, 80% ethanol, ethyl acetate, water. Methanol boiled first, then an azeotrope of ethyl acetate+ethanol+water, then main fraction azeotropic ethanol+water.
I used 1 meter long 30 mm diameter Hempel column packed with Raschig rings (cca 5-10 x 5-10 mm), insulated the column with a lot of turns of newspaper (vacuum jacket would be better) and variable ratio reflux distillation head with reflux:takeoff ratio cca 5:1.
My friend performed a gas chromatography analysis and concentrations of contaminants (methanol, ethyl acetate, higher alcohols) were all below 0,1%. But do not expect such good separation when using less efficient column (like Vigreux, or a colum without good efficient packing) and when not using reflux ratio adjustable distillation head.

Even though it's a staple of lab equipment, a Vigreux is pretty poor without packing. I believe it only has 1 theoretical plate per 10cm. Screws over a lot of chemists expecting a good separation.
AndrewOfWallachia
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2024 at 23:20

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  

Ok... That's lucky. But... I only have a simple Vigreux... :) and I haven't even heard of a variable reflux ratio distillation head. Could this still work? I saw some videos on Youtube distilling Toluene out of laquer thinner using only a Vigreux Column but their thinner didn't contain anything that had such a close boiling point to the toluene.
greenlight
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-6-2024 at 06:24

How long is your column?

You could pack it with broken glass pieces for extra surface area for condensation which should increase the separation of the boiling points.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
AndrewOfWallachia
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2024 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
How long is your column?

You could pack it with broken glass pieces for extra surface area for condensation which should increase the separation of the boiling points.

I believe it is 300mm but I haven't checked for sure. If it's not long enough, I also have an Allihn condenser, could it maybe work for to extend the efficiency a little bit if I connected them vertically, head-to-head?
greenlight
National Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 29-6-2024 at 10:16

You could use the allihn as a column without water circulating through it and pack it with broken glass too.
You want to have decent surface area but ensure that the vapour flow isn't completely restricted resulting in pressure build up.

The problem with long columns is that they can be difficult to get the heat all the way up entire length to the still head especially if the climate is cold. I used to wrap it in a thin layer or roof insulation "fleece" surrounded by aluminium foil back in the day when doing vacuum distillation of high boiling oil mixtures. Even sometimes had to use a hair dryer to warm the column on very cold winter days or nights.

George Wald
AndrewOfWallachia
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-6-2024 at 11:32

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
You could use the allihn as a column without water circulating through it and pack it with broken glass too.
You want to have decent surface area but ensure that the vapour flow isn't completely restricted resulting in pressure build up.

The problem with long columns is that they can be difficult to get the heat all the way up entire length to the still head especially if the climate is cold. I used to wrap it in a thin layer or roof insulation "fleece" surrounded by aluminium foil back in the day when doing vacuum distillation of high boiling oil mixtures. Even sometimes had to use a hair dryer to warm the column on very cold winter days or nights.

So, you're saying that just a 300mm Vigreux won't work?
greenlight
National Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 29-6-2024 at 19:20

Its not really a complex mixture, you have a difference in boiling point of 16°C. The 300mm vigreux should be fine on its own.

Just bring the heat up as gradually as you can.

[Edited on 30-6-2024 by greenlight]

George Wald

Go To Top