Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I have 5% Pd/C and need a reaction to do...
Quieraña
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-6-2024 at 12:38
I have 5% Pd/C and need a reaction to do...

Hello there fellow Chem enthusiasts. I've received a nice package in the mail and feel a little excited. There are plenty of options to do with such an awesome, versatile catalyst. If you had the stuff, what would you do? Reduction seems to be the most obvious answer, but I recognized that this can be more fun than that. Any ideas? Thank you advance. The day I do anything with this stuff I will of course include pictures. Cheers, friends.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-6-2024 at 19:51

Pretty much all Pd/C is used for is hydrogenations. If you don’t have the equipment or reagents though, keeping it as an investment is also fine - it is a (or at least a mixture of a) precious metal.

Is the Pd/C impregnated at all (on zeolite or silica)? If so, it’d be a lot easier to recycle. If not, before any reaction, make sure you have a procedure in place to recapture any and all of it from your rxn mix.

I personally wanted to look into reductive aziridine ring opening, as a new way to produce N-substituted isopropyl amines (internal alkenes can be aminated electrochemically to aziridines then reduced).

[Edited on 9-6-2024 by dettoo456]
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2024 at 07:52

I did these 2 experiments, the first one was hydrogenation (a product with flowers scent) and the second one dehydrogenation (into an aromatic heterocycle)
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Anthracene
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 11-6-2024 at 13:28

How about a reduction with Al/H2O as the hydrogen source?
https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/gc/c6gc0...
Unfortunately I don't have access from home, so I can't quote a procedure right now.

The approach seems quite variable, you could reduce acetophenone to ethylbenzene or benzaldehyde to either benzylalcohol or toluene, depending on how long you run it. Also double bonds and nitro groups are possible targets. Heck, even Ullman coupling of halobenzenes.

Fery gave some great examples how you can use Pd/C without a fancy pressure vessel or even a hydrogen tank, but aluminum and water would be even more approachable for the home chemist.

The author affiliations don't make me think it's a bs paper, I'd love to give it a try myself if I could find the time.

c6gc03032g-s2.gif - 20kB

Go To Top