Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FT-NIR spectroscopy, what to do?
burnbar
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2019 at 13:42
FT-NIR spectroscopy, what to do?

So i've kinda been regretting a purchase i've recently made...
About 2 months ago i bought a bruker matrix-I without software, it cost me 300 bucks and at the time i really wanted to be able to analyse/identify organic compounds.

It was a heat of the moment kinda thing so i wasn't really up to date on the applications of nir spectroscopy.

First problem:
The OPUS software from Bruker is kinda pricey, like $10.000+ pricey...
Yeaahhhhhhh, i'm not gonna pay that.

Anyway, after some messing around i was able to get interferograms via their remote measurement function.

Second problem:
The bulb inside of the spectrometer didn't work anymore and those asshats at bruker ask $1500 a piece (what the hell?).
Luckily they get their bulbs from another company so after getting the exact same bulb for 30 bucks or so and replacing it (an insane amount of work cause they cement everything in place) I got it working.

Using essential ftir i've been able to get decent spectra but i cant do much with nir spectra.

In short, what to do with this thing? Selling won't work cause i don't have OPUS.

To be honest, this is more a rant....
I've sunk so much time in this and i can't use it for anything....
It's like having a $50.000 piece of shit sitting on your counter....taunting you...
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 21-10-2019 at 16:53

NIR is always a difficult range. I'll try to think of some things... in the mean time, any chance of some pictures?? It does sound pretty cool honestly (even if not terribly useful!)

Go To Top