Printable Version  
Author: Subject: unique issue re: Glacial Acetic Acid
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 07:47
unique issue re: Glacial Acetic Acid

I have had never seen this previously.
Quick question here: I have a sealed bottle (factory sealed) of Glacial acetic acid that has become crystalized. Not exposed to extremes in temp or UV. I have not seen this before, nor do I believe there are any contaminents to account for this. I checked Merck, searched around on the net - found nothing regarding this behaviour in this chemical. Has anyone ever seen Glacial acetic acid solidify?

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 08:44

It does freeze at 16.7C. Is it below or near this temperature? At this time of year being stored in a garage, or shed, perhaps even basement, could have the temperature drop below this freezing point of GAA. That is the only thing I can think of. I have seen reference for dimerisation, but never heard of it taking place in liquid, only gas phase. I suppose since it is very water-free, dimerisation could take place easier. Water quenches the dimerisation very fast. In addition, I don't know of any properties such as melting point of the dimerized form.

Does it look like frozen GAA? Well, that is if you have ever seen it.

[edit] well, I suppose it is probably a brown bottle, so it could be hard to tell.

[Edited on 11-28-2005 by Mumbles]
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 08:45

From an MSDS, I found that the melting/freezing point is 16.6 C. So, if you're storing the glacial in a cool basement for a long time, it might result in the freezing of the glacial.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 28-11-2005 at 17:39

This is why it has been driving me crazy...it's stored in 20C ! The bottle is clear .... We are talking sealed...really sealed. I even put it in my little computer room and am looking at it right now. Looks like a broken glass cylinder in the bottle; a huge crystal. I have another little pint bottle (this is a gallon, I am talking about) and it has remained in a liquid state.
The 1st thing I did was check the FP temp and - no luck, I'm fine there.
But that is a good point, the freezing point temp is high....many homes do get to 60 degrees F this time of year. But yet certainly if such a thing occured, would it not melt as many other fluids do once 16 C + were reached?

I apprieciate you all taking the time with this little puzzel; I have yet to have had such a thing happen and not know why.
Basically I put a cap on my little mystery. It simply had to drop in temp at one time (I would now question the 16 C and say it may actually be even warmer!) and continues to maintain it's cold solid condition; unique in that manner. It would make a great "cold-pack" for an injury :P As some thermic reactions continue, this one does as well. It will simply refuse to give up it's temp. - quite interesting really; here you have an acid that will maintain a cold condition. Great for controling reactions requiring such a thing!

[Edited on 30-11-2005 by quicksilver]

Go To Top