Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help me
Firimor
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2005 at 22:26
Help me

Hey guys, i just bought a new cheap ass pewter ring and put it in some HCl to see what happens. I was hoping it would remove some of the oxidation, but it ended up taking away all the shine and made it look more tarnished than ever.
I currently have two theories:
1. The HCl dissolved some kind of coating that made the metal shiny, and nothing can reverse process
2. Some kind of precipitate was formed that coated the ring, making it appear black, and there may be a way to remove new substance.

I don't have time right now to look all over for some kind of reaction, so I was hoping that you guys, with your vast knowledge of chemistry, could identify the problem and possibly find a solution to bring my ring back to normal.
All I can tell you after running a wikipedia search is that pewter consists mainly of tin. The rest consists of a mixture of copper and either bismuth or antimony. I dont think the tin or copper would have reacted at all, so it must involve the antimony or bismuth.

Thanks for the help.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 04:56

I'm betting it was #1. Have you tried scrubbing at it to make sure it isn't #2?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 08:24

It was probably the antimony and the tin, both of which take time to dissolve in cold HCl.

Bismuth and copper won't react with cold HCl to my knowledge.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 08:41

While doing my own experiments with antimony/tin alloys, as the tin dissolved the surface of the alloy would darken from the unreacting antimony left on the surface. This was when dissolving the alloy electrolytically in HCl and I was able to collect a great deal of this antimony. For me I was never able to simply dissolve this alloy in HCl, it would never react, but I guess the composition of our alloys are different and yours is more reactive. The antimony coating on your ring will stain everything as it is very fine.

According to Braurer, antimony is insoluble in HCl, but my own experiance here differs, if any air is present and the antimony is very fine it will dissolve rather well.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 14:17

So yeah, you've etched it... chemical means are no good here, get a buffing cloth and do it the old fashioned way.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top