Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Platinum for catalyst - what's best shape/formation?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 05:38
Platinum for catalyst - what's best shape/formation?

I need to get some Pt for some reactions and have only found wires and "rods" and it seems that the prices don't really match that of market price for pure Pt.

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to plate some metal like some expanded mesh of some material (steel, Al, copper, etc) with some pure Pt filings/trimmings.

I think I can obtain these trimmings/filings locally for very close to market price. The only thing is that I know I don't currently have the ability to form it into wire or rod - so if there is some other means of using the Pt like plating it onto a metal (or ceramic??) substrate I would be really interested in hearing and happy to offer the finished product to other members for whatever it costs me to make.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 05:55

Google is your friend!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8768

For best recommendation, you would need to disclose reaction you want this Pt plated catalyst material for.

Platinized mesh, glass/mineral wool, sintered porous ceramic or Carbon granules have been used in my experience, lots of options. If your reaction will be poisoned by or destroy the catalyst substrate chemically or mechanically... You need to choose a different substrate.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Heavy Walter
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 05:59

Hi
Can you comment on the phases involved in your reactions?
Platinum black is commonly used as catalyst and there are many detailed procedures to prepare it on the web.
Combustion of methanol in air proceed with a platinum wire.
In case of preparing a surface or deposit on ceramic I would start with some salt, as platinum chloride, p.a.
Regards,
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 08:28

Thanks for the replies! I have searched many times regarding the reactions I was looking at and most of the time a "platinum" or Pt catalyst is mentioned. In my ignorance of how the catalyst acts, I assumed that they all acted the same way and were all usable in the same form.

I really don't have a list of all the different reactions I have seen that use Pt as a catalyst, many of which I want to try, I was going to aquire some to use when I want to do various experiments.

I'll have to make a list of some of the processes which I was looking at.
Hydrogenation of oils
Urea to Ammonia
Many others...
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-12-2015 at 17:36

Ummmm. I don't know much, but in liquid phase hydrogenations, Platinum Catalysts, are usually produced as needed. Freshly prepared catalysts are generally the most active.

One precursor, Adam's Catalyst, is Platinum Oxide. You just put a little Platinum Oxide powder, into a suitable solvent, flush out the regular atmosphere, and shake or stir, under a Hydrogen Atmosphere.....Pretty quick, the Platinum Oxide has been reduced to Pt +H2O and you are good to go.

My favorite start up, is via Chloroplatinic Acid. Dissolve some in Ethanol, squirt it into a stirred solution of Sodium Borohydride in Ethanol. The Chloroplatinic Acid is instantly reduced to a very finely divided, very active, Platinum Hydrogenation Catalyst. NaBH4 seems to be fairly available now, at reasonable prices.

Either of the starting materials can be produced from Platinum wire or scrap, or from bullion. Currently about 30 buck per gram, via E-bay. Preliminary conversion to Pt Oxide or Chloroplatinic Acid, is usually via dissolving the native Platinum in Aqua Regia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams's_catalyst

Whole field of study out there on catalyst preparation. Seems to me Wiley offers a lot of information on-line, in a book on the subject. Well, they used to, at any rate.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040402001...
Browns original papers, are humdingers. Sadly, they are not easily accessible, on-line. Leastways, not for free.

[Edited on 18-12-2015 by zed]

Go To Top