Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to extract mercury (Hg) from merbromine C20H8Br2HgNa2O6 (aka mercurochrome)
bluamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2015 at 17:32
How to extract mercury (Hg) from merbromine C20H8Br2HgNa2O6 (aka mercurochrome)

Hi guys
I want to know how can i use merbromine (aka mercurochrome) C20H8Br2HgNa2O6 to obtain mercury (i just want to use it in electrical dissociation of NaCl solution to make NaOH)
Please help me!!

[Edited on 18-8-2015 by bluamine]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2015 at 10:35

How much merbromine do you have?
It would take about 25 grams to give a single millilitre of mercury.
Also, if you can't answer the question you posted, you probably shouldn't be working with mercury and it's compounds.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2015 at 10:43

Much simpler would be to buy a mercury thermometer and break it. Unless you're actually interested in the chemistry of that reaction, of course.

Or you can avoid mercury altogether by using a diaphragm cell, as I have done. It's not very efficient, but it's very simple. Just use a clay flower pot nested inside a larger bucket. Fill the bucket with salt water up to the rim of the flower pot, and fill the pot with distilled water with a tiny bit of salt (or, ideally, NaOH) dissolved for conductivity. I put whichever electrode generated the NaOH in the flower pot so I could simply lift it out. Takes several days to make a weak solution, but it does work.

Or you can avoid all of that and just buy NaOH; there's plenty of places online that sell it. Unless you're actually interested in the chemistry of that other reaction, of course.
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2015 at 04:05

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Much simpler would be to buy a mercury thermometer and break it. Unless you're actually interested in the chemistry of that reaction, of course.

Thermometers containing mercury became rare years ago that i can't find many.. (i need them for other uses too)
Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Or you can avoid all of that and just buy NaOH; there's plenty of places online that sell it. Unless you're actually interested in the chemistry of that other reaction, of course.

I couldn't buy NaOH this is why i am interested to prepare it at home.

[Edited on 19-8-2015 by bluamine]

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-8-2015 at 04:18

eBay sells mercury thermometers.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Glass-Thermometer-Lab-White-Back-...
A bit of searching should find something better priced. You could also go for an ancient barometer or a sphygmomanometer. Anything with mercury goes quickly but they do come up reasonably often.

Or, you could buy something like this:
http://www.dx.com/p/yaosheng-ys8-diy-5mm-mercury-switches-si...

Seriously though, if I was you I would first see if it really was impossible to obtain NaOH. Buying mercury is expensive. Playing with it is hazardous. And a cell to manufacture your own NaOH sounds like all kinds of painful.
Around here it can be bought from the supermarket as a drain-cleaner. (Acid drain cleaners are not used!) It is also available from the hardware store. It is a major component of some oven cleaners. And it is easy to find on eBay or from science suppliers. KOH is also an aceptable substitute in many applications. IMO, somewhere among those options is one that is far easier than breaking thermometers or playing games with mercurochrome. (I didn't now you could still get that stuff anywhere!)

[Edited on 19-8-2015 by j_sum1]

Go To Top