Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: lab manual
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 15:57
lab manual

Was wondering if someone could help me locate a good lab book. Really anything would do. Basically I have 2 inorganic chem and 1 organic chem lab experience at uconn (University of Connecticut) and need something to get me back into real chemistry. It's been about 5 years since I've done anything, which is about 5 years to long.

I already am getting glass and a few essential chemicals. If anyone could recommend a good one I'd be forever grateful, I learn much easier with a book!

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 16:15

Are you looking for organic or inorganic? Fieser's book is a nice one, it contains more details about the reaction than preparative manuals such as Vogel and Brauer, which are useful if you are looking to prepare a specific compound. Schlessinger also has a good inorganic preparative manual, I can't link to it but look in the forum library.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 16:18

There are free ones in the library that are classic texts. Vogel's is often referenced. If you feel the need for something newer, there are sometimes free options available online for college courses, or you could look into a textbook such as "Understanding Organic Chemistry: A Laboratory Course" by Pedersen and Myers.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 02:41

Don't know if you have it but the book called: The Illustrated Guide To Home Chemistry Experiments is a pretty good book if you're just starting out.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 03:59

I usually find physical books are the most useful form of lab manuals. Online is OK for getting ideas, but nothing like having a book with you. So choose which to buy wisely.

szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 05:02

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I usually find physical books are the most useful form of lab manuals. Online is OK for getting ideas, but nothing like having a book with you. So choose which to buy wisely.

That's how I am I wish to purchase a book made out of paper. In my academic years I would spend like 200 on a used book I would be fine with spending 50 dollars on one, or taking a torn destroyed one off someone's hands. Really so I can make sure I keep understanding the concepts.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 05:35

Second the recommendation for Robert Bruce Thompson's book, the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments. Really excellent book full of great labs and tips. There is a website someplace that sells a kit including all the chemicals and equipment needed for the whole book.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2015 at 08:05

Thanks for all the options! Honestly I dont really care the condition it is in I just need an actual text book, so not an electronic book or read online. My lab is going to be in my garage and it wont have easy internet access plus I learn better on a book, call me old school but thats how I am.

My point being I am more then willing to purchase one via Amazon or something, or take an old one off someone to keep it in use whatever i just need one to get back into practice. I have extensive training, basically took all the undergraduate chemistry classes at a major university except physical chem 1 and 2, those were literally the only other chem classes left at Uconn.

Point being I have plenty of formal training am not a danger to myself or anything but i need a book to follow!

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 08:11

Yeah, Elemental Scientific sells the kits. Good stuff! The kits are useful, even if you don't have the book!

Go To Top