Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ideas for polymers that become solvent resistant after polymerization?
Leben
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 11:45
Ideas for polymers that become solvent resistant after polymerization?

I've been doing some hobby research into material science and polymer blends. I've been researching trying to find some polymer blends that are soluble in a solvent such as acetone, until they begin to polymerize and at which point become insoluble and chemically stable. Ideal method of initiation would be photointiation. The photoinitiator is easy to get a hold of, so I am more concerned with the polymer blend itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_blend

Found some here, but there is little mention of post polymerization solvent resistance. The most ideal blend would be something that is relatively unreactive once polymerized.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 12:52

What do you intend to use it for? Thin coatings? Any other requirements beyond solvent reiststance? Epoxy phenol novolac resins are the first thing that comes to mind. http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0030/...

They can be photoinitiated to self-crosslink instead of requiring a "hardener."
Leben
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 13:12

I was planning to create catalytically active solid surfaces. I thought of the idea the other day and turns out its already been heavily tried and researched. For example, coating a stir bar with a platinum, nickel, or some coordination complex doped polymer, so that it can be used in reactions without polluting the reaction mixture. Easy removal of catalyst, easy reuse of catalyst, and more. The potential uses for this sort of application are almost endless.

I am inclined to think that any polymer with multiple polymerizable functional groups could work, because 3D polymerization should take place, as opposed to something like polystyrene where the polymerization is linear.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 13:33

Oh, yes! Usually the practice is to embed nanoparticles in macroporous resin, or fix the metal onto an ion-exchange resin. http://membrane.ustc.edu.cn/paper/pdf/Ion%20Exchange%20Resin...

For resin-based catalysts it tends to be polystyrene/divinylbenzene modified with other monomers for additional functional groups. There's no reason I can think of that others shouldn't work, though. I think Dow has the broadest line of ion-exchange resins right now, and also sells raw monomers for synthesizing them. Maybe a good place to get ideas.
Leben
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 13:55

I thought Ion Exchange Resins were used for electrochemistry? Does seem like we are talking about the same thing though. I'm more interested in learning to make my own polymers and coatings on various materials. Building the polymer blends from the base compounds.

I have an ultrasonic transducer which I have used to make colloidal nanopartical suspensions. Most resins cannot be sonified without polymerization happening, but I think if I mix the premade nano-suspension with the resin thoroughly and then apply the coating I should be good to go
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 14:03

Am I missing something?
Styrene to polystyrene in alcohol.
The monomer is soluble: the polymer isn't.
Leben
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 14:17

I forgot what page I was looking at, but Divinylbenzene + Styrene + a photointiator seems to be a reliable polymer blend that will form a chemically resistant polymer when activated. Divnylbenzene behaves as a crosslinking agent.

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Am I missing something?

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Styrofoam polystyrene? Isn't styrene the monomer and polystyrene the polymer? Styrene is a liquid, polystyrene a solid. Styrofoam easily dissolves in solvents like acetone.

[Edited on 16-11-2014 by Leben]

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 15:07

Quote: Originally posted by Leben  
I forgot what page I was looking at, but Divinylbenzene + Styrene + a photointiator seems to be a reliable polymer blend that will form a chemically resistant polymer when activated. Divnylbenzene behaves as a crosslinking agent.

Yes, that's the typical base for ion-exchange resins.
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 05:24

It would be interesting to see a polymer that could produce electric current like piezo crystals. You could cote walls and floors with the material to make electricity from foot traffic and dust storms.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 11:10

Quote: Originally posted by Leben  

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Am I missing something?

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Styrofoam polystyrene? Isn't styrene the monomer and polystyrene the polymer? Styrene is a liquid, polystyrene a solid. Styrofoam easily dissolves in solvents like acetone.

Did you not notice that I said alcohol rather than acetone (which softens, but doesn't really dissolve polystyrene)?
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 12:54

Leben was looking for solvent-resistant, chemically stable polymers, not ethanol-resistant polymers.

Go To Top