Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I need help! for electrodeposition of copper
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:41
I need help! for electrodeposition of copper

recently I made a solution composed of:
500 cc tap water + 100 grams of CuSO4 + 25 cc of sulfuric acid (concentration is about 58 percent )
I used this solution for electrodeposition of Cu on Al wires (2mm diameter , these wires are used as fillers in Aluminium brazing it is said the type of this Al alloy is known to be 4043 )in room temprature I used 5 volts DC power supply (Cellphone Charger) and the copper deposited on the wires but it is awful!!! with applying a small amount of force the deposited layer detachs from the Al wires!
How can I increase the adhesion bitween electro deposited layer and its substrate? need help
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:44

aluminum has a stubborn ass oxidation layer--I know this cuz my uncle has a body shop. yer gonna need to get rid of the Al oxide layer methinks <<< should point you in right googling direction

edit--maybe etch with hydrochloric acid, rinse with distiiled water, then try electroplate? Let me know how turns out

[Edited on 7-18-2014 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:56

Aluminum will always quickly reform the oxide layer. Also if you were to attempt to etch the oxide off of such a small piece using HCl, the aluminum metal would dissolve practically as soon as the acid ate through the oxide layer. Generally, aluminum is seen as something practically impossible to plate or be plated.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:57

ok , I'll try it
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:03

guys plz have a look at this

DSC_0352.JPG - 2MB
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:05

And this

DSC_0371.JPG - 2MB as you can see the deposited layer of Cu is seprated it looks like a hat! for that Al object , when i was removing it i used lots of force ! and the Cu thing is strong enough that wont be torn apart with ease!

[Edited on 18-7-2014 by wish i had a kraken!!!]
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:11

The Cu object achived by electrodeposition of Cu on Al

DSC_0370.JPG - 1.9MB
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:12

What about a plan like:

1. immerse Al cathode into dilute H2SO4 yet NOT containing CuSO4 in mixture
This will clean surface oxide and some H2 will start to be produced
2. Turn on DC : this will prevent Al from further attack
3. Add CuSO4 solution : a deposition will start
t
(only theorizing, but I'v seen good commercial Cu coating on Al).
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:14

but for the Al wires of 2 mm diameter it is awful! the copper does not stick to the Al nor it forms uniform strong Cu layer :-(
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 14:26

papaya your idea seems good !
I got questions by the way ,1. after I add the CuSO4 it needs some time to be solved you think it wont have any effect on the process? 2. I need to repeat the process several times so your plan seems so complicated for this purpose

I think what u have seen is not produced by electrodeposition , I think it is called clading , a process in which an Al cylinder is placed within a copper tube then the whole object will be extruded through specific chanelles it reduces its diameter but its length increases they do the process several times till they have an Al wire cladded with Copper

[Edited on 18-7-2014 by wish i had a kraken!!!]
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 15:33

You can't plate copper onto aluminum using a copper sulfate plating bath. The copper forms an immersion deposit immediately upon insertion into the bath, and this deposit is not adherent to the aluminum.

There are extra steps that involve an immersion deposit of zinc onto the aluminum from a zincate bath, plating with cyanide copper, and then copper sulfate to build up the plating. Even then, it takes practice to get the cleaning and plating steps working so that the copper will stick.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 17:40

a softer plate may be helpful for adherence. meaning the tensile strength of the copper is decreased with an alternative plating bath. sulfamic acid is known to lay down copper and nickel with low tensile strength. it can be advantageous when mobility is required, or if the strain of the copper would otherwise impede the metal below. looking into the sulfamic acid method, it was stated that some articles plated with standard acidic copper baths would actually lay down with so much strain it would lead to early failure of the metal below with mild/moderate use, even steel.

all my pdf's on sulfamic acid are on another computer, sorry I can't just link or attach them. on the hathi book trust site there are several books available about electroforming/electrodeposition of nickel for rocket thrust cones. they went into a fair amount of detail while describing the method of laying cooling and preheating plumbing into a solid nickel inner jacket, or filling over other metal jackets. Ill try to find one of those real quick,...
NASA technical memorandum:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112106563783;vi...
pg. 3 starts to talk about the sulfamic acid electrodeposition of nickel with a boric acid pH adjustment to ensure proper finished material characteristics.

handbook of practical electroplating:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000449119;vie...

electroplating for the metallurgist, engineer and chemist:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89089717318;view=1u...

plating on aluminum, a thesis for bachelor degree:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89085049575;view=1u...
pg. 3 " pure aluminum, when exposed to air, is acted upon by free oxygen in air, with a resulting layer of alumina. a studies of aluminum rectifiers has revealed the fact that it takes but approximately one one-thousandth of a second for a layer of alumina to be formed on the aluminum, where the metal is used as an anode in an electrolytic cell"

development of a soft soldering system for aluminum:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015078488718;vie...

that should get ya started :D there is a LOT of freaking info on that site. I fully suggest getting the hathi-helper program to snag searchable pdf's. once you start downloading, you will find they have books on things you didn't even know you were interested in :D
-Violet Sin-
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 22:08

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
a softer plate may be helpful for adherence. meaning the tensile strength of the copper is decreased with an alternative plating bath. sulfamic acid is known to lay down copper and nickel with low tensile strength. it can be advantageous when mobility is required, or if the strain of the copper would otherwise impede the metal below. looking into the sulfamic acid method, it was stated that some articles plated with standard acidic copper baths would actually lay down with so much strain it would lead to early failure of the metal below with mild/moderate use, even steel.

all my pdf's on sulfamic acid are on another computer, sorry I can't just link or attach them. on the hathi book trust site there are several books available about electroforming/electrodeposition of nickel for rocket thrust cones. they went into a fair amount of detail while describing the method of laying cooling and preheating plumbing into a solid nickel inner jacket, or filling over other metal jackets. Ill try to find one of those real quick,...
NASA technical memorandum:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112106563783;vi...
pg. 3 starts to talk about the sulfamic acid electrodeposition of nickel with a boric acid pH adjustment to ensure proper finished material characteristics.

handbook of practical electroplating:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015000449119;vie...

electroplating for the metallurgist, engineer and chemist:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89089717318;view=1u...

plating on aluminum, a thesis for bachelor degree:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89085049575;view=1u...
pg. 3 " pure aluminum, when exposed to air, is acted upon by free oxygen in air, with a resulting layer of alumina. a studies of aluminum rectifiers has revealed the fact that it takes but approximately one one-thousandth of a second for a layer of alumina to be formed on the aluminum, where the metal is used as an anode in an electrolytic cell"

development of a soft soldering system for aluminum:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015078488718;vie...

that should get ya started :D there is a LOT of freaking info on that site. I fully suggest getting the hathi-helper program to snag searchable pdf's. once you start downloading, you will find they have books on things you didn't even know you were interested in :D
-Violet Sin-

I am not a partner institution they won't allow me to download that books
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 22:11

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
You can't plate copper onto aluminum using a copper sulfate plating bath. The copper forms an immersion deposit immediately upon insertion into the bath, and this deposit is not adherent to the aluminum.

There are extra steps that involve an immersion deposit of zinc onto the aluminum from a zincate bath, plating with cyanide copper, and then copper sulfate to build up the plating. Even then, it takes practice to get the cleaning and plating steps working so that the copper will stick.

From where can I get the info about the method u described?
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 22:37

they don't let most people download books. I have >20gb of books from there, use hathihelper to download the books, it cheats for you. http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Hathi+Download+Helper?co...

WONDERFUL program, you will dig it. pretty easy to use. open the program, now go to the hathi site to a "full view" of the book and coppy the net address. paste it into the top field of hathi download helper. the second section down starts downloading the pages, click the options you wanna use for format. I choose the 1 pdf per page and click the box "create pdf after download". when download is complete, you click the third tier down button to assemble the books if it hasn't done it already for you.

easy peasy, go get 'em
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 22:55

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 04:44

they don't let most people download books. I have >20gb of books from there, use hathihelper to download the books, it cheats for you. http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Hathi+Download+Helper?co...

Does it also, like so many cheats, install malware on your tooter? Because that's how these 'freebies' usually recoup their development costs...

Not so long ago a moderator here proposed using a particular freebie to download free stuff: two weeks later I was still cleaning up after it!

Quote: Originally posted by wish i had a kraken!!!  

Wow. You've just made a copper crucible! ;)

[Edited on 19-7-2014 by blogfast25]

wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by wish i had a kraken!!!  
[/rquote]

Wow. You've just made a copper crucible! ;)

[Edited on 19-7-2014 by blogfast25]

Thanks but its outter surface looks non-uniform it looks like tree ! :-) do u know any good application for it?

DSC_0333.JPG - 2.1MB
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 07:12

So sad, all of these posts and no one asked the amperage of his power supply. Just a little cell phone charger will likely take forever to get good results. Standard issue is a hacked computer power supply to get good amps. If you're in the US I could hook you up with one.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 07:33

blogfast25:
..... "Does it also, like so many cheats, install malware on your tooter? Because that's how these 'freebies' usually recoup their development costs...

Not so long ago a moderator here proposed using a particular freebie to download free stuff: two weeks later I was still cleaning up after it!"......

could you be a little more specific on what you mean by this, please? I have gathered ≥20gb of books from hathi and I check my comppy with malwarebytes and avg at least a few times a month if not once a week. nev had any problems on my end.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 08:20

Here is a very basic idea of what to do:

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/copper-plating-on-aluminum-...

Aluminum comes in different alloys, and the cleaning process varies for each one. For silicon-containing alloys HF is needed for example.

If you do not have much experience plating, I would recommended trying to plate something other than aluminum. If you are just using the aluminum as a sacrificial mandrel, then you don't want much adhesion anyway, as you'll just be dissolving it with hydroxide afterwards.

Plating is a well-developed art that takes a long time to learn properly, especially if you are making your own plating baths. There is a large jump in time, effort, and results, from plating nickels with some root killer vs. proper copper electroforming. I think most people don't realize what all is involved in the process.

Certainly, I would encourage you to try, just be prepared to do a lot of reading and searching online. There are good articles on the PFonline.com and Finishing.com websites, and some of the newer previewable books on Google are helpful. The older ones from the early 1900's are of limited utility. Plating has come a long way since then.

Looking at the picture you posted, I'll offer some hopefully helpful advice. The acid copper solution needs to be quite pure. There are a lot of nodules on your part partly because of contamination. If you're using copper sulfate of hardware store variety, at the least make sure several recrystallizations are done on it before you use it. After the plating bath is made up, filter it well. You can't filter it too much. Commercial operations use continuous filtration with a pump, with several solution turnovers every hour. Agitation is vital. In a beaker the plating solution needs to be stirred, or electrolyte depletion can occur at the high current density areas. This will manifest itself as "burning", with dark areas forming at the edges of the part, and nodule growth. In the absence of proprietary additives, one needs to use pulse-reverse plating to interrupt crystal growth of the copper. This is a big topic, and you'll have to read up on it if you're interested. It works wonders though. If proper frequency, forward current, reverse current, and duty cycle are selected, beautiful smooth deposits of copper form with ease. For an anode in copper sulfate baths, rigid copper pipe works well (the rolled stuff that is used for plumbing). The types in my area are phosphorous-deoxidized, and dissolve cleanly into the bath, as long as sulfuric acid levels remain high enough.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to be an electroplating "coach", but hopefully this has given a little help.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 08:39

blogfast25:
could you be a little more specific on what you mean by this, please? I have gathered ≥20gb of books from hathi and I check my comppy with malwarebytes and avg at least a few times a month if not once a week. nev had any problems on my end.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=28403#...

My experience with freebies in general hasn't been positive, because of malware that often hitches a ride along with the software or website involved.

And cheating is a form of theft, no matter how you look at it.

violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 13:41

@ Blogfast25:
ya I hear what you are saying, I have encountered that issue as well in the past. I have just never had any problem what so ever with hathi download helper though. I thought you were referencing a specific incident or problem. many a freeware programs have leach along programs, but many also can be carefully selected to not install. that is if you pay attention to each window that pops up while in the process. usually there are small boxes here and there, pre-checked, saying you want to install additional programs. so instead of just clicking, ya, ya, ya, ya, finish, you have to be a bit more discerning. and of course some installs just do it :P

I couldn't disagree more on your second statement though. to each their own I guess. almost all the papers/books from hathi are old, most not even close to today's technology. downloaded for reference and obscure practices/experiments. these guys have already been paid in full, lived a long life, and many have died since the time this was new. the only one not making a buck is the printers, and I am not taking physical pages from any one. its just data.
I am not one to screw people out of anything they deserve,.. golden rule and all... but I don't see how that applies here. I am not suggesting we ripp off current papers that took millions to research this year, and I doubt many people here would even have a problem with that. b/c, as amateurs we aren't making a living off this, we certainly aren't grabbing these and selling pdf's on ebay, we aren't building competing tech/info companies with stolen data, we do it for the curiosity of what we can accomplish in our lab/garage/basement/sheds across the world. specifically to understand it better, and of course a little braggin rights amongst our peers :)
knowledge was/is gathered for the betterment of all. this stuff should be free. technically, if I had the time and desire to do so, I could take screen shots of each page and build my own books. so if I can do it the really, really, painfully slow way with no law breaking. then why not use the silly program to do the same thing.

my 2¢, take it or leave it, your call.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 19-7-2014 at 13:59

OFF topic

"Information wants to be free" Proud member of the California Pirate Party here. Google "mickey mouse copyright extension" to see how ludicrous it's gotten. Copyright was instituted as a tool of political repression by Mary Tudor. The US constitution says it is for "the promotion of the useful arts and sciences" period.

Guess I am a thief.

And the solution to malware/viruses is to ditch anything from Redmond (m$) and put penguins/GNU software under the hood.

My 25 cents

edit--corrected bold bb tag

[Edited on 7-19-2014 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 03:59

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
Copyright was instituted as a tool of political repression by Mary Tudor.

Yes, but you can't justify modern copyright infringement based on that. Copyright doesn't today exist for political reasons: for political oppression G'ments use censorship, gag orders etc, it's not the same at all.

Copyright is a thorny issue but ask yourself a simple question. Suppose you'd written a book and a you wanted to disseminate it through the Tinkerwebs, in a pay for version. Now some hackers start distributing free copies of the same book. How would that make you feel?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top