Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extremely simple melting point apparatus
Haber
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 13:39
Extremely simple melting point apparatus

Hello.

I thought i might share a very simple mp-apparatus construction that i tested earlier today. Its nothing new I know, but it might still be of intrest for some low budget chemists perhaps:)

This picture pretty much sums it up:

A hole is drilled in a aluminum cpu-fan block (about 1-1.5cm deep), a thermometer is placed in the hole. The sample is placed in the centre of the block. The block is then heated.

Tested the device with benzoid acid, wiki says mp is 122.4C, my "device" gave 123-124C, a slightly higher mp which was expected.

The accuracy is probably not sufficient for alot of applications, but maybe for some (I might also note that i do not know the purity of the compound i tested).

Also my thermometer did not fit perfectly in the hole so i added a drop of oil in the hole to make sure that the probe was heated evenly. The block is also standing in a 2cm deep oil bath, might not be necessary depending on the design of the block.

[Edited on 17-4-2014 by Haber]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 14:21

Mother of invention- Just don't let your wife see that!

There are several types of heat conductive grease used in "thermowells" of heating and process equipment, another option for the probe hole. Conductive grease for heat sink applications would be good too-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top