Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can some glassware equipment be substituted like this
nannah
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2013 at 23:15
Can some glassware equipment be substituted like this

I was looking for ways to make a addition funnel, and i found this, check it out.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/equipment/si...

I am thinking that it is probably better to use a "real" addition funnel, but i can´t see the reason to why this won´t work.

Do anybody have some experience working with these?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 00:30

the dubiousness of the source aside, it's.. well its an available option . Doing this is possible but every time a joint is present there's a chance for leaks and problems. FOr Non critical work I'd guess this'd work OK. heck, I myself considered using that source for vacuum Fractional distillation of lubricating oils. But at the end of the day all I can really say is proceed with caution if you choose do try these, and mind the chemical properties of the tubing you use!! Better and brighter will be along shortly but the above is my take on it.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 06:07

The funny part is that for the cost of all of the small pieces, you can buy a used addition funnel. But that would certainly work in most cases. There are other simple solutions that also work, like just putting a slightly inflated balloon on the top of a simple addition funnel to keep it under inert gas. But their Dean Stark thing will leak like a seize, if the joints are upside down. The simplest way to save money is to buy smaller scale glassware like 14/20, and keep experiments small.

Go To Top