Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Progress on Lithium Sulfur Batteries
ElizabethGreene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 18:14
Progress on Lithium Sulfur Batteries

I read a nice article about Lithium Sulfur Batteries today. Sounds like really promising stuff.

http://earthsky.org/science-wire/new-all-solid-sulfur-based-...

Here's the fun bit from the paper:
Quote:

The sulfur compounds Li3PS4+n (n=2,3,5,6, and 8) were synthesized through solution reactions of Li3PS4 and elemental sulfur in tetrahydrofuran (THF) under magnetic stirring without exposure to air or moisture. After the solids were fully dissolved, the solution was dried under vacuum for 2 h at 80C. The recovered solids were lithium polysulfidophosphates. The cathode slurry was prepared by dispersing Li3PS4+5 (60 wt%), WVA-1500 carbon (Mead Westvaco Corporation, 30 wt%), and PVC binder (10 wt%) in THF. No side reaction occurred to the binder during the preparation of electrode because of the rapid evaporation of solvent.

A solid electrolyte pellet of Li3PS4 with a lithium metal anode was prepared by cold-pressing nanoporousb-Li3PS4 (120 mg) on top of a thin lithium foil (50mm thick) under 240 MPa pressure in a 13 mm die. The slurry was then coated on the other side of the pellet and dried under vacuum at 80C. The loading of the cathode materials is 0.25–0.60 mgcm^2, which is equivalent to 0.15–0.36 mAhcm^-2. The final thickness of the pellets was 0.5 mm

I'm trying to dig up the synthesis of Li3PS4 now. If anyone has a copy of

Quote:

Z. Liu, W. Fu, E. A. Payzant, X. Yu, Z. Wu, N. J. Dudney, J.Kiggans, K. Hong, A. J. Rondinone, C. Liang,J. Am. Chem. Soc.2013, 135, 975–978

I would be most grateful if you could share.

Thanks!

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by ElizabethGreene]

Go To Top