Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Metabolic releas of oxygen
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 06:24
Metabolic releas of oxygen

Can anyone think of a substance which when ingested and broken down by cellular metabolism liberates oxygen, any ideas?

I'm aware that normal cell metabolism is aerobic and therefor requires oxygen however what I'm interested in is if there is a molecule that when metabolised releases excess oxygen.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:27

Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but when hydrogen peroxide enters the body, catalase enzymes decompose it into oxygen and water...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:30

i cant think of any metabolic process that releases O2 besides photosythesis
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 10:33

There are a very few molecules that can cause formation of peroxides in the body, most are highly toxic via that method, for instance Paraquat is a redox cycler that can generate peroxides in vivo. But they are normally all quite unhealthy for the cells, as excess cellular peroxides and oxygen create free radicals and uses up the body's GSH and other anti-oxidants. There have been a few other compounds tested as chemotherapy drugs with the hope that cancer cells die faster under oxidative stress, but not much luck there either.

You could find some more examples by Googling "oxidative stress", "redox cycler", or oxidants, perhaps. But much like the bar fad of breathing pure oxygen, most are not much good for you.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
8-5-2013 at 10:53

Go To Top