Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strontium as a dietary supplement
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 16-2-2013 at 14:24
Strontium as a dietary supplement

Hello guys,

I've read (on Wikipedia) that Sr supplements increase bone density, and aid bone growth. There are no listed side-effects, however, the article also says: "Strontium is used in scientific studies of neurotransmitter release in neurons. Like calcium, strontium facilitates synaptic vesicle fusion with the synaptic membrane. But, unlike calcium, strontium causes asynchronous vesicle fusion."

Does this mean that when you take the supplements you will get some neurological problems? Can anybody explain this a little more?
What do you personally think about Sr supplementation?

Rest In Pieces!
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 16-2-2013 at 15:00

Under certain highly specific circumstances, substituting strontium (for Ca++) may be appropriate. One such occurrence, a neutron bomb explosion. But doubt the strontium would save you there. Iodine is typically used to substitute in our glands for the radioactive iodine. KI typically.
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 01:19

Quote: Originally posted by SM2  
Under certain highly specific circumstances, substituting strontium (for Ca++) may be appropriate. One such occurrence, a neutron bomb explosion. But doubt the strontium would save you there. Iodine is typically used to substitute in our glands for the radioactive iodine. KI typically.

But it is normally sold as a dietary supplement, recommended dose is 600mg per day. IMO, if it was really so dangerous to one's nervous system, it wouldn't be sold as a dietary supplement.

Rest In Pieces!
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 05:27

Taking strontium suppliments wont save you from nuclear strontium, your body is likely just going to keep taking in strontium if it's there to replace calcium.

I'd keep your dosage low.

Then again, supposing it really was all that excellent, why do companies always sell calcium suppliments for bone disorders and general bone health instead of strontium? Lack of research, larger cost of Sr or just because they make money off the status quo?
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2013 at 06:27

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Taking strontium suppliments wont save you from nuclear strontium, your body is likely just going to keep taking in strontium if it's there to replace calcium.

I'd keep your dosage low.

Then again, supposing it really was all that excellent, why do companies always sell calcium suppliments for bone disorders and general bone health instead of strontium? Lack of research, larger cost of Sr or just because they make money off the status quo?

OK, let's exclude a nuclear explosion.

And the companies sell Ca because it is more common and it occurs normally in the bones at high levels, while there is a very low amount of Sr. General public would not buy Sr supplements because of chemophobia, or because of not enough "propaganda" or whatever... For comparison, in the TV they always put advertisments like "BUY THIS PRODUCT, IT CONTAINS CALCIUM WHICH IS HEALTHY FOR YOUR BONEZ" etc.

Rest In Pieces!
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 18-2-2013 at 17:08

Strontium replaces calcium in the bones over a longer period of time if taken as dietary supplement
I have read it also stimulates bone cells to add more minerals and increase bone mineral density

About side effects? Who knows for long term

Its usually older people anyway

If you want to improve bmd then just lift weights 3 times per week

Upper lower upper lower split

I bet you will not get osteoporosis that way
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 07:47

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
Strontium replaces calcium in the bones over a longer period of time if taken as dietary supplement
I have read it also stimulates bone cells to add more minerals and increase bone mineral density

I do lift weights, I was just asking about strontium's helath effects because it's unclear to me (especially the effect on the neural system).

Rest In Pieces!
Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 07:52

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  

I do lift weights, I was just asking about strontium's helath effects because it's unclear to me (especially the effect on the neural system).

That's good since it has many health benefits. By the way, seriously, I think you don't even need it. Just get calcium.

Because I'm sure as hell this guy has some strong bones and certainly didn't take strontium at all.

Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2013 at 10:47

That's good since it has many health benefits. By the way, seriously, I think you don't even need it. Just get calcium.

Because I'm sure as hell this guy has some strong bones and certainly didn't take strontium at all.

I need it because I have low muscle volume :D And I believe I have enough calcium. That guy in the picture must have really good genetics.

Rest In Pieces!
Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 04:05

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  

I need it because I have low muscle volume :D And I believe I have enough calcium. That guy in the picture must have really good genetics.

Maybe you are just skinny ;) If you ate 500 calorie surplus for a week while lifting for like 3 times per week (8-12 repetition range, 3-4 sets per exercise, 4-5 exercises per day) you would gain like 1 pound of mostly muscle tissue, some fat and water weight.

If you don't eat correctly, you won't gain any muscle. Strontium wont help, but 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass will.

Good luck
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 08:37

Maybe you are just skinny ;) If you ate 500 calorie surplus for a week while lifting for like 3 times per week (8-12 repetition range, 3-4 sets per exercise, 4-5 exercises per day) you would gain like 1 pound of mostly muscle tissue, some fat and water weight.

If you don't eat correctly, you won't gain any muscle. Strontium wont help, but 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass will.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am skinny, even though I eat more than enough, my body always burns the excess energy somehow. :D In some cases, I am able to eat like 1kg of meat + 0.5kg of other stuff at once.
I am gaining, but very very slowly, you know.

Rest In Pieces!
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 10:40

I personally believe that the best way to eat (like frequent snacking, eating proteins separately from carbohydrates, etc.) all of which has been studied and explained (digestive enzymes working their best, etc.) is all obvious if one accepts that after a 100,000 plus years of eating that the old way is the best course for the body. I recall hearing of a study to prove that an enriched mineral drink was better than plain water when dehydated. Well, guess what, the water won. Why? Because, I would speculate, when caveman were exhausted from running (many causes), the only thing they had access to was water from a stream, so plain water is best assimilated by the body when dehydrated.

Now, what does this have to do with Sr supplements? I would not consume more Sr than is normally consumed by eating a diet rich in grains, fresh fruit and vegetables.

[Edited on 20-2-2013 by AJKOER]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 14:28

I have to agree that taking a strontium supplement does not seem wise, other than in tiny amounts, similar to that from food sources. It is toxic in large does, and I have never seen any indication that it is a needed mineral. As the article below points out, lead is also absorbed and replaces calcium in bones, but that does not seem to make it healthy either. Since no one has studied long term effects of strontium, other than in radioactive forms (they are bad), it seems unwise to just start testing yourself, unless you are in a controlled scientific study where the results will be useful to others.

A Trace Mineral without Deficiency Concerns
The effect of strontium on bone is likely related to its similarity to calcium, a mineral with a known biological value. Strontium is structurally similar to calcium and can replace calcium in the bone mineral matrix. A key difference is that calcium (as an essential nutrient) is homeostatically controlled, while strontium is not. Strontium is not alone as a mineral with “bone seeking” activity.7 Lead is well
absorbed from the gut, is incorporated into bone, and increases bone density.8 Lead, of course, is also a natural element found in the soil, yet does not have a biological role in human health.
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 09:21

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I have to agree that taking a strontium supplement does not seem wise, other than in tiny amounts, similar to that from food sources. It is toxic in large does, and I have never seen any indication that it is a needed mineral. As the article below points out, lead is also absorbed and replaces calcium in bones, but that does not seem to make it healthy either. Since no one has studied long term effects of strontium, other than in radioactive forms (they are bad), it seems unwise to just start testing yourself, unless you are in a controlled scientific study where the results will be useful to others.

A Trace Mineral without Deficiency Concerns
The effect of strontium on bone is likely related to its similarity to calcium, a mineral with a known biological value. Strontium is structurally similar to calcium and can replace calcium in the bone mineral matrix. A key difference is that calcium (as an essential nutrient) is homeostatically controlled, while strontium is not. Strontium is not alone as a mineral with “bone seeking” activity.7 Lead is well
absorbed from the gut, is incorporated into bone, and increases bone density.8 Lead, of course, is also a natural element found in the soil, yet does not have a biological role in human health.

But when it is not well tested, why do they sell it on the internet?

Rest In Pieces!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 12:39

have you seen some of the crap people can claim and sell on the internet.
they cant put anything online that isnt true. I have a set of magnet finger rings and a copper necklace that will allow me to live to 200yrs.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Adas
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 12:44

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
have you seen some of the crap people can claim and sell on the internet.
they cant put anything online that isnt true. I have a set of magnet finger rings and a copper necklace that will allow me to live to 200yrs.

Yeah, but this is on PureBulk. They have many good products. And while scrolling, I found Strontium carbonate.

I am confused :|

Rest In Pieces!

Go To Top