Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how safe are these chemicals
VITALY1234
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 20:34
how safe are these chemicals

Hello. I am bad with english. I am in chemical interest from 8th class or 13 years, mainly in pyro interest or something spectecular experiment. Now I found a source which sells Calcium metal for 1,5Euro/kg, hydrazine hidrate for 4eur/kg, sodium peroxide 3eur/kg, HClO4 for 3EUR/l and much more ussr time chemicals, mainly 99,95% lab chemicals, not technical. I live in europe union, so I can buy and sell something for you cheaply. I am question in which applications calcium metal is superior after aluminum powder in metal reduction, mainly my interest is zirconium or titanium powder for rocket stars, also I have much read of yours white P reductiuon. This calcium is in granules, i think it will be hard to make powder from it or inert atmosphere is needed. I just want to know how much uses is there for calcium metal, how much I must buy. I have no car, so I will get home this thing with train, max I can insert in my case is 25kg chemicals. And is this 100% safe if these chemicals are stored in wet conditions for 20+ years?

[Edited on 26-12-2012 by VITALY1234]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 20:39

Troll?

VITALY1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 21:01

jes troll, i have lived for 2years in Norway, also i understand your deutch.

[Edited on 26-12-2012 by VITALY1234]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 22:12

So... yes to being a troll?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
VITALY1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 23:06

Sorry I don't understand what means troll in english slang!? At my understanding trolls live in Norway. Okay I came here not for trolls, question was about Ca metal , maybe if there is wet air, calcium generates H2 gas and my Ca bottle can explode from pressure. Also how safe is to transport hydrazine hydrate, sodium peroxide, I understand this is hard to get chemicals, I really have no need for that at this moment, but if there is a chance to get it and cheaply, maybe same day I will need this for some synthesis.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 23:16

Ah, so not a troll. (Sorry, troll means "someone who is intentionally stupid or mean to get attention" in English slang.)

Anyway, calcium metal is good as long as it's dry - a tightly closed, dry container is great.

Sodium peroxide - I imagine this is about as hazardous as sodium metal in terms of reactivity, and I don't think transport would be easy. According to Wiki, it reacts with water to make sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide - both nasty substances (especially the hydrogen peroxide at high concentrations). A dry, tight container is an absolute must-have.

Hydrazine hydrate - I don't have any experience with this chemical, but from Wikipedia, it appears to be "dangerously unstable except in solution". It's also highly toxic, again according to Wiki. Not a good choice to carry on a train, I would have this one shipped professionally if at all.

In short, for the first two, clean and very dry containers are a must to prevent decomposition and/or violent reaction. (Calcium's reaction with water isn't at all violent, but as you said, pressure can be very bad). For the third, I would not bother to bring it with me under any circumstances short of it being sealed in an ampoule.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
VITALY1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 23:26

elementcollector I can plus to your element collection Tungsten powder 99,5% at 32 USD/kg, Nickel powder 17 USD/kg and Selenium granules 14 USD/kg
VITALY1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-12-2012 at 23:32

okay my neigboor came to me I must go away for some time. In my country everevyone is drunken at Christmas :)
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2012 at 13:48

Hmm, the nickel powder would be of interest if you were wanting to set up an Edison cell, other than that, I don't know what you would use it for.
VITALY1234
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 02:29

At this moment I just want to make business in ebay to get money for chemicals for my interests.I have spent for weeks for searching what are legal to trade in Europe union, I cannot find any document like USPS Hazmat table Pub 52(?). In european postal laws there is written something not oxidizers by airmail and not toxic chemicals, but this is thing with interpretation. If I look at ebay prices, I can get most of chemicals 10-20 times cheaper, so good business.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 07:06

If you want to know the truth about shipping, contact UPS or FedEx directly and ASK.

In USA, everything you asked about is hazardous and requires registration as a Hazardous Materials (HazMat) shipper, records keeping for government inspection and documented training in proper packaging/labeling methods by the shipper to send.

Quote: Originally posted by VITALY1234  
At this moment I just want to make business in ebay to get money for chemicals for my interests.I have spent for weeks for searching what are legal to trade in Europe union, I cannot find any document like USPS Hazmat table Pub 52(?). In european postal laws there is written something not oxidizers by airmail and not toxic chemicals, but this is thing with interpretation. If I look at ebay prices, I can get most of chemicals 10-20 times cheaper, so good business.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top