Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: using SM backup-please help-search engine hasn't gotten me there;)
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

thumbdown.gif posted on 17-12-2012 at 07:42
using SM backup-please help-search engine hasn't gotten me there;)

I've been searching and trying over the past couple of weeks to get the current back-up of SM running. Installed the VB Oracle app, and I get like a faux DOS or non GUI command line thingie (which I have read), and also a nice GUI, which shows 3 of my 4 machines running, but still not assessable. I've probably forgotten a good amount of small details, and I've tried messing around with different settings and details.

So far, I have been unable to open a virtual SM browser page. Any help offered is greatly appreciated by me. Thank you in advance.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 18-12-2012 at 17:54

If the virtual machine starts and shows a non-GUI command line thingie it is probably working fine. Can you post a screen shot of what it shows? If the machine boots properly it should have a short message telling you where to point your web browser from outside the virtual machine.

If you followed those instructions and the web browser didn't connect, the most likely cause is lack of DHCP. The image as currently constructed needs to run on a computer that has a DHCP server available. This is generally the case if the host computer is connected to a home router or combination modem/router like most modern DSL and cable internet providers use. It will fail if you don't have a DHCP server available, like if you try to use it on a computer with no internet connection, even though it does not rely on any online data. There was some investigation about how to get it to run without a network connection back when I first set it up but I'm not a smart enough networking guy to easily fix that.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 16:48

Thank you! Polverone. This doesn't connect to internet in any way, just intranet? I could have internet server off as I understand it.

Well, thanks again. I sometimes feel like the most unpopular person here.

But then, this isn't a popularity/teenager beauty contest. It's our awesome SM BB.

And I salute all of those who contribute so much of their lives and money to help maintain this site for what it is.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 16:55

The virtual machine does not need an internet connection to run. But in order to connect to the virtual machine using your host computer's web browser, the virtual machine needs a DHCP server on the local network. In most cases a DHCP server is provided as a free side effect of your home router or DSL/cable modem, as long as the host machine is connected. I haven't worked out how to set up the backup to run on a home Windows machine that's completely unplugged from the network (and so does not have a DHCP server provided by your router/modem).

Is the connection failing when you try to visit the virtual forum archive with a browser on the host machine? Can you post a screenshot of what VirtualBox shows after the virtual machine has started?

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-12-2012 at 12:43

Quote: Originally posted by SM2  
I've been searching and trying over the past couple of weeks to get the current back-up of SM running. Installed the VB Oracle app, and I get like a faux DOS or non GUI command line thingie (which I have read), and also a nice GUI, which shows 3 of my 4 machines running, but still not assessable. I've probably forgotten a good amount of small details, and I've tried messing around with different settings and details.

So far, I have been unable to open a virtual SM browser page. Any help offered is greatly appreciated by me. Thank you in advance.

I would appreciate a little more attention to and pride in the use of language. I assume using the backup requires some computer literacy(?) and yet you say "command line thingy.." Most of us in the ibm world got there because we wanted to get behind the gui and run "like command line thingies.."

I believe the word you were looking for was "accessible?" I don't think you were assessing something. Most of the adults here are a little put off by extraneous "like..thingie..man..etc.."

Now that I've addressed that, Polverone; what is he talking about? Where are the files and application?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top