Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: alkylating agents
Ephesian
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2012 at 04:06
alkylating agents

I didn't mean to make a new thread, but here is a good review of the mechanistic behavior of alkylating agents in varying conditions. something I was reading this morning

Attachment: 09-4054LR published mainmanuscript.pdf (417kB)
This file has been downloaded 689 times

[Edited on 29-10-2012 by Ephesian]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2012 at 11:52

Thanks for posting that, it is a useful review of the alkylating groups and covers many I knew and a few that I am not familiar with. It will be handy to have.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 10:38

Do not forget that (CH3)2N-CH2-CH2-Cl, available as a regent in the form of a hydrochloride salt, can also act as a potent alkylating agent when neutralised. It initially forms an aziridine ring [with weak highly strained bonds in a triangular-shaped ring], and this aziridine functionality can readily alkylate other reactants. Otherwise, chloroalkanes are generally very weak alkylating agents. Chloromethane does not act as an alkylating agent at all under normal conditions. Bromomethane is more reactive, however, and is used as a pesticide.

Acetyl chloride is also quite reactive, as the carbonyl group makes the chlorine group reactive by opening it up to indroduction of an outside electron. Although I am not really sure if acetyl chloride technically constitutes an "alkylating agent", as the acetyl group it would introduce is not really what we would think of as an alkyl group.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by Ephesian  
I didn't mean to make a new thread, but here is a good review of the mechanistic behavior of alkylating agents in varying conditions.

For the sake of TFSE, please provide the full reference of the attached articles, like this:

A comparison of several modern alkylating agents
Guy Lamoureux and Christian Agüero
ARKIVOC 2009, i, 251-264

Also, there is no need to use the forum bandwidth for free access articles. You could just provide the URL of its original location:
http://www.arkat-usa.org/get-file/29478/

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top