Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iodine in juglans nigra
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 05:36
Iodine in juglans nigra

Various (somewhat dubious) sources claim that black walnuts, or black walnut husks, or the leaves of the tree, contain elevated levels of iodine.
For example, in 'Catfish, Fiddles, Mules and More', the author writes: 'Iodine in the husks [of black walnut] will stain a handlers' hands brown'.
Or this: http://selfhealthresourcecenter.info/newsletter-archive/blac...
... or one can search in Google Books for 'iodine black walnut' and find numberless similar claims, mostly in modern herbals.
However, I'm not able to find any actual information on the iodine content (if any) of the plant, nor any publication that would suggest that any science ever indicated elevated levels of iodine in it.
Can anyone find any actual references on this? Or is this bogus? I'm leaning towards the idea that someone long ago jumped to the conclusion that the plant contains iodine (due to its well-researched antifungal/bacterial/etc. activities combined with its staining), and that this mistaken belief has become enshrined in many places. After all, black walnut trees don't seem to be dependent on iodine-rich soils.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 06:27

Is there such a thing as iodine-rich soils? Is there measurable iodide in soil?

It's a very large plant, there is no fucking way.

Would not be surprising if there is little saying how much iodine is in tree parts, regardless of species.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 07:26

Iodine rich would probably be around 10ppm

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by bbartlog  
For example, in 'Catfish, Fiddles, Mules and More', the author writes: 'Iodine in the husks [of black walnut] will stain a handlers' hands brown'.
The pigments in black walnut are all organic pigments, such as juglone, named after the Latin name for the plant. Searching for "black walnut pigment" will yield more information on exact composition.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 10:29

My neighbor has a large black walnut tree and I can attest to how long your fingers get stained handling them. I collected some because the outer husk/hull if left on the nut will sometimes crenate into an interesting looking dimpled pattern when dry. They also kill tomato plants. It took a week or so for the stain to go away on my hands. There is a video of the powder being mixed with henna I watched some time back when I researched the black walnut. I don't know if henna or black walnut is perfectly safe. Maybe you could be allergic or the compounds over time harmful to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pIeZbBe1dQ#t=11m04s

"Plants adversely affected by being grown near black walnut trees have foliar yellowing, wilting and eventually death. Tomatoes are particularly susceptible. The causal agent is a chemical called juglone, which occurs naturally in all parts of the black walnut."
http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/black_walnut_toxicity...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglone

[Edited on 9-6-2012 by Morgan]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 10:30

Since the thread is here and I decided to post in it,
BTW there is at least one excellent soap that uses the ground shells as gentle biodegradable abrasive, Solopol; it will remove the toughest soap-and-water-insoluble crap you can't get off your hands, probably better for glass than the kitchen pads. Good luck grinding them up yourself....good luck opening them even....if you have some device I don't, you can make some money, as the nutmeats sell well...but for unknown reasons, the nearest raw fruit collection station is so far away that no one collects them here any more for years now, a fair profit could be made if you have the right tools and no gathering competition.

[Edited on 9-6-2012 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 14:07

I knew about juglone. There are in fact numerous black walnut trees on my property, hence my curiosity. Pigs will eat the nuts, which is all I use them for (shelling them is labor intensive as noted).
Interesting note - one of the plants whose growth is inhibited by black walnut is poison ivy. Essentially every kind of tree on this property has various specimens with poison ivy vines growing up the trunk (though oak seems to not be favored), but of scores of black walnut trees there is not a single one with a poison ivy vine on it. The plant is not entirely absent underneath the black walnuts but its growth seems to be stunted there as well.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 16:53

Native Americans would gather the nuts and make an extraction of the outer hulls. When thrown into still water, it would stun the fish in a given area and they would be gathered up for the bounty they provide.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 19:23

Another use I remember reading about.
Blasting with Black Walnut Shell - Hammons Products Company
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRrli4074z8

Go To Top