Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Making Lithium Carbide
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:21
Making Lithium Carbide

any suggestions on production of this

It was first produced by Moissan, in 1896 who reacted coal with lithium carbonate.

To prepare pure samples in the laboratory molten lithium + graphite are reacted at high temperature.

Li2C2 can also be prepared by reacting CO2 with molten lithium.
this one seems to be the easiest to achieve temperature wise.
which seems to make not very much since because magnesium burns in CO2 and forms magnesium oxide and carbon.this would be saying that the reaction is 2Li + CO2 -> Li2C2 + 2O2

[Edited on 10-10-2011 by symboom]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:26

I could ask why?
Calcium carbide is readily available and reacts with water to form acetylene.
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
I could ask why?
Calcium carbide is readily available and reacts with water to form acetylene.

yes it is but im wanting to experiment with alkali metal acetylides
as planning to use it as a reducing agent in a few experiments.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 09:35

I doubt it will act as a reducing agent. What makes you think that it will?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 06:12

Lithium carbide is the only carbide formed by reaction of lithium metal and a suitable carbon source eg finely milled graphite or charcoal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_carbide

http://www.springerlink.com/content/b0v12x7v6255g755/

The steel furnace under vacuum might be a bit beyond most amateur's pockets though
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 07:50

<del>Please stop bickering and stay on topic. He wants to make lithium carbide--the question of why does not matter. The equation looks insane, yes, but tell him why. Don't just mock him. Let's get some data, references, and analysis going, damnit! Were not here to belittle one another, we're a supportive community for the otherwise outcast practitioners of a hobby that's usually frowned upon.

Starting point for bringing thread back on topic:</del>

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_carbide">Wikipedia article on lithium carbide</a>

[edit]
To further help you along, we're going to need this article:

U. Ruschewitz, R. Pöttgen (1999). "<strong>Structural Phase Transition in Li2C2</strong>". Zeitschrift für anorganische und allgemeine Chemie 625 (10): 1599–1603. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1521-3749(199910)625:10<1599::AID-ZAAC1599>3.0.CO;2-J.

I've requested the paper for you in the <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15455&page=10#pid224820">appropriate thread</a>--which I've been hogging lately, sorry. :P Once it's openly available, I'll link it here.

[Edited on 2.10.13 by bfesser]

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2011 at 09:19

attached PDF suggests a route that is under 800° with pyrolysed carbon and lithium metal.

Attachment: LithiumCarbide.pdf (566kB)
This file has been downloaded 791 times
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2011 at 12:28

that makes a whole lot more sense Li + CO2 --> LiO + Li2C2
i know unbalanced
but it cover the jest of the reaction as some of the lithium reacts with the oxygen from co2 and some of it reacts the carbon

unlike magnesium burning in CO2 which produces only carbon and Magnesium Oxide.

it seems like the more reactive group 1 elements form carbide easier.

direct combination of the elements seems like a better way
an idea for production comes to mind the reaction being preformed in a metal can. using graphite from a pencil. an electrical current causing the pencil lead to glow. the lithium metal would melt activated carbon will be covering the lithium metal on the surface while it is melting to prevent the oxygen from reacting with it. the lithium metal being wrapped around the graphite.

[Edited on 20-10-2011 by symboom]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 03:43

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
that makes a whole lot more sense Li + CO2 --> LiO + Li2C2
i know unbalanced
but it cover the jest of the reaction as some of the lithium reacts with the oxygen from co2 and some of it reacts the carbon

unlike magnesium burning in CO2 which produces only carbon and Magnesium Oxide.

it seems like the more reactive group 1 elements form carbide easier.

direct combination of the elements seems like a better way
an idea for production comes to mind the reaction being preformed in a metal can. using graphite from a pencil. an electrical current causing the pencil lead to glow. the lithium metal would melt activated carbon will be covering the lithium metal on the surface while it is melting to prevent the oxygen from reacting with it. the lithium metal being wrapped around the graphite.

[Edited on 20-10-2011 by symboom]

To be honest that sounds like an excellent way to produce a small but deeply unpleasant fire.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 21-10-2011 at 13:53

Without even looking at data, I'd guess that Li is a much better conductor than a graphite pencil lead. You'd effectively be shorting out your heat source. I do, however like your idea for obtaining high-temp from a graphite-based lead. Go with the softest grade you can get your hands on--it would have a lower proportion of clay to graphite.

Courtesy of Lambda-Eyde:
<a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=224851&aid=16258">Structural Phase Transition in Li<sub>2</sub>C<sub>2</sub></a>

[Edited on 10/21/11 by bfesser]

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 23-10-2011 at 04:20

Neil, that reference is gold, nice find, any other treasures in your chest.

Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2011 at 12:24

Thanks, nothing better; though this one is interesting, it doesn't make thermodynamic sense to me...

Attachment: 4137295_Carbide_production_using_molten.pdf (173kB)
This file has been downloaded 553 times

It does involve high pressure air, chlorine, molten lithium, acetylene, incandescent charcoal and molten iron so it sounds like a good stove top experiment.

Certainly much more feasible then the previously link stainless steel pot full of materials and low temperatures. :P
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 15:12

well i asked nurdrage since i was thinking about it after seeing his purposed page
http://sites.google.com/site/nurdrage/pr

stated by nurdrage
Re: making Lithium Carbide?
i was thinking of putting lithium metal with crushed aquarium activated charcoal in a metal tube and heating that to the melting point of lithium. Problem is ensuring safety. what i was told which i understand you don't what molten metal flying out. the thing is ive lit lithium in air it burns like magnesium. first kinda red then dazzling white.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izSOC6stCT0&feature=relat...
ive done it before to really nice easier to light than magnesium with a lighter, but under co2 or carbon reaction im not to sure how it will react and if it will be volent or not.

[Edited on 30-10-2011 by symboom]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-10-2011 at 23:42

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
Li2C2 can also be prepared by reacting CO2 with molten lithium.
this one seems to be the easiest to achieve temperature wise.
which seems to make not very much since because magnesium burns in CO2 and forms magnesium oxide and carbon.this would be saying that the reaction is 2Li + CO2 -> Li2C2 + 2O2
[Edited on 10-10-2011 by symboom]
You should see at once that this reaction equation can NEVER be correct, and then I am not referring to the incorrect balancing. Even if you wrote

2Li + 2CO2 ---> Li2C2 + 2O2

you should see that this is utter nonsense. Do you really think that a strong oxidizer like O2 can be formed from a strong reductor and CO2? If a reaction occurs (which I can imagine at sufficiently high temperature) then the only thing which I can imagine which will form is Li2C2, Li2O and maybe some other lithium/carbon compounds and also possibly some CO and Li2CO3 in side reactions or secondary reactions. But no O2, never!

[Edited on 31-10-11 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2011 at 12:25

i already said i was wrong mistaking the reaction i figured it was wrong but didnt think what else formed along side the lithium carbide.

[Edited on 31-10-2011 by symboom]
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 03:04
low temp lithium carbide

i want to produce LiC by passing hydrogen over lithium in a test tube and gently heating it then after the litium hydride is formed i planto change the gas stream to acyteline which will react to form LiC. A quick search on wiki said that this could be done at room temp. i want to know if anyoe is intrested in this metod and how i could improve it.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:16

Well, for one thing, expect that the reaction between solid lithium and hydrogen will be very slow and incomplete unless the lithium is divided, and/or the gas is under pressure. Molten lithium reacts much faster, but it also reacts with glass, so a test tube isn't going to work for this.

There is already a lithium carbide thread here, along with references:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17734

Anyway, what is important to you? Conversion %? Selectivity? Low reaction temperature?

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by WGTR]
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:06

low temp that is the whole point of this thread, for a low temp synthesis . i plan to heat it in a silvered flask or a steel contained in a test tube with (decently) high pressure for quite a while.
I want to be able to do this without a blowtorch.
here is the link to the article which i got my info from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_hydride
[Edited on 1-10-2013 by bismuthate]

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by bismuthate]

I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 14:17

OK. Looking at one of your other posts, I understand better that your resources for heating are rather limited. I understand the frustration in that. Still, that limitation makes this type of reaction awkward, because you're trading high temperature for pressurized hydrogen. I can't help but worry that you really don't have the equipment needed to safely perform the reaction the way that you want to do it. Maybe I'm misreading the situation.

Personally, I'd work at finding a heat source somehow. I built a portable furnace from four firebricks and a cpu fan. It runs on mesquite charcoal. That thing gets up to 850-900°C, and (with proper PPE) I use it safely on the front porch. With something like this you could directly combine lithium and carbon in a sealed tube. With about 28% argon (mole %, the rest being air), the pressure inside and outside of the tube should be the same at 800°C, so the tube shouldn't expand or collapse.

If you think this is something you could do, then I can try it when the weather cools off, to make sure it doesn't do something unexpected (the winter is when I play with the furnace).

That's really the best advice I can offer on this. Maybe someone else has better ideas.
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 14:59

I have an alcohol burner that i can use to heat the reation. The reaction will take a few hours i would guess, but it can take place at 29 degrees celcius, so it will work at 200 degrees too.
Another idea
If i can seal the hydrogen with powdered lithium in a sealed steel container and then place the contained on a Zn/MnO2 mixture and ignite it and repeat this multiple times it will fully react.
or i could heat the container over a course of days.
I apreciate your concern but my mom just will not let me use heat. (she is ok with most things just not heat or mercury )
i hope that i will get a blowtorch this year for christmass of something like that this would open so many doors for me. ( she doesn't allow fires either)

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 16:37

By "alcohol burner", are you talking about a small jar of alcohol, with a wick in it?

Will your mom let you use...a reflector-type incandescent light bulb? Those can get some things pretty warm, and are made for continuous use. They are often used indoors for track lighting, and things like that.

Anyway, for the first try I'd recommend not using compressed hydrogen, but making a gas-bag from the common ordinary ziploc bag. You can run a hose from the bag through the tube stopper, and monitor the progress vs. time. If the reaction is proceeding at all, you should see the bag deflating. Hydrogen may leak from the bag over a period of days, so maybe an extra "control bag" will help you account for that.
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 16:46

i like the bag idea but will lithium corrode it?
yeah i got the burner from a chem 3000.

WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 17:11

The lithium remains in your reaction tube, hopefully; connected to the bag of hydrogen by a flexible hose. Although...if you're not planning on heating the reaction to more than 50C or so, maybe you can put a small "boat" containing your lithium entirely in the bag of hydrogen, and just heat up the whole bag.

To make the hose connection to a ziploc bag, I just poke a small hole into the side of the bag. This hole is just a bit smaller than the soft rubber hose, so that when the hose is pressed through, the bag stretches around it, giving a decent seal. Sometimes it takes a few tries, and it helps to tape the hose down to the bag. When it's finished, I'll fill the bag full of air, clamp off the hose, and check the seal by pressing gently on the bag. It shouldn't deflate.

The other end of your hose can connect to your hydrogen supply, or while the reaction is occurring, can be clamped off with a hemostat.

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 17:24

sounds good.
LiH has many other uses too.:D

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
2-10-2013 at 05:28
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Pruned
2-10-2013 at 05:30
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 09:17

i like that idea, but could i put aluminum foil and a sodium hydroxide solution in a small fire extinguisher with lithium in a dish suspended above it and wait for it to fill with hydrogen? Then i would seal the top and let the pressure build. after a few days I would open it up and retrive the lithium hydride. then i will repeat the process with calcium carbide and water.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top