Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rapport of a small research: Copper corrosion
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

biggrin.gif posted on 6-8-2011 at 10:43
Rapport of a small research: Copper corrosion

introduction

This small rechearch was made because I found that when electrolising sodium carbonate sol. the copper connection at the anode was severly corroded , wath was impressing with that was that no drop of solution comme to the anode , and the contact was very clean copper , this make my think to a process to find catalyst that make copper oxidise. My hypothesis was that Carbon dioxide was a good catalyst for oxidation of copper``1``. My two reference for this hypothesis was an old document of 18 century , witch was telling that (in industrial town(at this time the machine was firred with coal witch produce CO2 when burning in oxygen )) just after 2 mont after the construction of an copper roof was turning green``2``.
The last one was that today , in campain a copper roof can withstand 1 year without becaume green``2``.

1: Hypothesis of the plaussible reaction , decomposing the rection in sub step over a short period of time (1year``3``):
First it make an aduct with CO2
2Cu + CO2 -) Cu.CO2

Witch disproportionate readily in oxygen at RT to make:

2Cu.CO2 + O2 -) 2CuO + 2CO2

If high cantity of CO2 is present or the copper is exposed tocontinu flow of CO2 future reaction can occure:

CuO + CO2 -) CuCO3

3 Chemical analisis that I make of a green copper piece witch was 1 year old was mostly CuCO3.

Experimentation:
Pur oxygen was made in a test tube , all the air was expelled of the system before the experimentation was made , the oxygen was passed in NaOH and dried by H2SO4 and bubled in C6F6 to fill the test tube a ACS reagen grade copper piece was added a cap was added under the C6F6 and the test tube was lets stan 4 day , after 4 day the copper piece was shiny and no corrosion observed. then 0.4 ml of unknow purity CO2 was aded and , only after 12 hour copper was darckening on about the half of it surface analisis show that it was mosly copper oxide with a tiny part of copper carbonate, even 3 day later no other corrosion was observed. adding 5ml of CO2 to the test tube make all the copper go black after 2hour and after 13 hour the copper piece was green , analisis show that the green was copper carbonate.

Conclusion: It seem that carbon dioxide catalise copper oxidation , an after some time it is consumed. This experimentation also show that in big quantity CO2 with O2 react directly to make CuCO3 and O2 doesn't react with copper at RT without catalyst.

this text have huge amont of mistake it need to be corrected

thanks

[Edited on 6-8-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 19:54

Edit: post referred to deleted.

[Edited on 11-8-2011 by Neil]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 10-8-2011 at 23:58

Whatever post you are talking about must have been deleted. English is my first language and I do not have any problem at all reading plante1999's work. He did a very interesting experiment and wrote it up well enough for people to understand.

Plante1999, keep up the good work and ignore anyone who does not like it.

[Edited on 8-11-2011 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 13:24

CO2 only "catalyses" the reaction because the carbonic acid, H2CO3, which forms is slightly acidic.
Sulfur dioxide works much better to promote corrosion of copper.

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Go To Top