Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boron Tribromide
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2011 at 22:52
Boron Tribromide

Hey everyone.

So I'm looking into doing a video on the reaction between boron and bromine and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the uses of its product, boron tribromide. I know some obvious stuff such as its properties and hydrolysis products but I was looking for some specific uses, perhaps in organic chemistry. Any information is helpful, thank you.

Hayden

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 00:29

Its great for cleaving ethers. I have only used it for aromatic ethers, just take 1 eq BBr3 to ~2.5 eq aromatic alkyl ether and stir overnight in reasonably dry DCM. Quench with water, stir with dilute NaOH(aq) for a while (this helps decompose the borate ester which can take quite a while to hydrolyze under acidic conditions) separate the aqueous layer and acidify it. From there you can either filter your phenol (if a solid and insol in water) or you can go for recovery via extraction. The alkyl group is lost as the alkyl bromide btw.

I want to caution you about BBr3, it fumes very strongly in open air (worse than other things like SnCl4, maybe a bit worse than TiCl4).

[Edited on 3-1-2011 by smuv]
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 11:36

Have you seen this video?

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 12:26

Wow, how did I miss that? That you mr.crow! I'm a big periodicvideos fan, I don't remember that one for some reason though...

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday

Go To Top