Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heavy laptop users risk fried skin syndrome via extreme temperature
zabineL
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 02:04
Heavy laptop users risk fried skin syndrome via extreme temperature

"Toasted skin syndrome" is the latest hazard to be revealed for video game addicts and assorted computer geeks. Fried skin syndrome is an affliction commonly associated with workers exposed to extreme heat. Symptoms contain splotchy discolorations within the affected areas of skin. An incidence of fried skin syndrome which occurred in a 12-year old boy with a video game habit has given new prominence to the malady, which could result in cancer of the skin under certain conditions. Article source: Heavy laptop users risk toasted skin syndrome from intense heat by Personal Money Store.

<p><strong> Fried skin syndrome from laptops</strong></p>

Everyone who puts a laptop on their thighs for lengthy periods of time is likely to get fried skin syndrome. In a recent case, CBS News accounts that a 12-year-old boy came to his doctor with "sponge-patterned" skin on his left thigh. For months at a time he would spend time playing computer games for a few hours each and every day. Someone else got mottled skin on her leg as a student. The student would study for six hours a day with the computer in her lap. She was diagnosed with fried skin syndrome by her doctor, Dr. Kimberly Salkey. The laptop got to about 125 degrees. This is what was measured.

<p><strong>Using notebooks too much can trigger cancer of the skin</strong></p>

Until now, toasted skin syndrome was documented in workers who toil around intense heat. Salkey told the Associated Press that toasted skin looks like skin damaged by prolonged sun exposure under a microscope. Heating pads that don't burn however are used too often can cause toasted skin syndrome also. There has not been anything to suggest it was harmless before. The skin just got funny colored. The condition can trigger skin cancer though according to the medical journal Pediatrics that had an article about skin syndrome in it by Swiss researchers.

<p><strong> A notebook heat safeguard is advised</strong></p>

The Pediatrics article did not say there were any specific skin cancer cases that were looked at by the Swiss researchers. A carrying case or a heat shield was suggested as things to put under the laptop. Heat generated laptops generally give warnings through major computer makers of the heat. The Associated Press explained that , while this report was published on Yahoo News, one of 10 cases about notebooks that are in medical journals since 2004 have talked about fried skin syndrome, while one of the reports said the elevated scrotum temperatures can trigger a decreased sperm production.

<p><strong>Citations</strong></p>

<p>ABC News</p>

<p>abcnews.go.com</p>

<p>Christian Science Monitor</p>

<p> csmonitor.com </p>

<p>PC World</p>

<p>pcworld.com</p>

<p>CBS News</p>

<p>cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20018447-10391704.html</p>

<p>Pediatrics</p>

<p>pediatrics.aappublications.org/</p>

<p>Yahoo News</p>

<p>news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101004/ap_on_hi_te/us_laptop_toasted_skin</p>

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 12:01

Been there, done that.
I use my laptop at a desk now.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-10-2010 at 03:46

Yep, one or two of the first laptops our family ever had, over a decade ago, would get so hot it'd literally leave red marks on my thighs after an hour. Meaning, it's not quite a laptop.

I've never really been that fond of laptops. They're massively underpowered for their cost and they're not really as portable as the people selling them make out.

Some of the newer ones are okay, but I have enough problems with my desktop spazzing out and hate the idea of things dying mid work due to a battery. They're also the perfect target for a mugger. They're one of the few things I'd bother lifting. Meaning I have to constantly have my hand on the bag.

If you just want to do some tying, I have one of the older iPaqs, the RX series that cost about £30 on eBay (the RX 199x's are smaller than the higher powered ones, and I actually found the higher power version about the same in speed and it crashed frequently). They're REALLY good for £30. You can type, synchronize emails, watch videos, stick 4 - ?8gb? cards in them, play old Amiga games on the emulators, make notes blah blah blah.

For typing, I have a fold out keyboard that is one of the most impressive bits of engineering I've seen. There is absolutely NO wasted space, the keys are normal size, it's aluminium, yet the entire thing will genuinely go in a pocket without sticking out or making it impossible to move. And it cost about £5.

I also like the calendar and address book, since it'll remind me of birthdays (something I routinely forget) and I can cram tons of details in on the contacts, multiple phone numbers, addresses, emails and so on. All in something the size of a 20 pack of cigarettes.

I can't stand Applie, but the iPad looks okay. The iPaq is still about ten times cheaper, far smaller and far less stealable - the pad thing isn't going in a pocket, so the only benefit is the nice screen and videos really.

[Edited on 31-10-2010 by peach]

MiaDoderer
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2011 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
Yep, one or two of the first laptops our family ever had, over a decade ago, would get so hot it'd literally leave red marks on my thighs after an hour. Meaning, it's not quite a laptop.

I've never really been that fond of laptops. They're massively underpowered for their cost and they're not really as portable as the people selling them make out.

Some of the newer ones are okay, but I have enough problems with my desktop spazzing out and hate the idea of things dying mid work due to a battery. They're also the perfect target for a mugger. They're one of the few things I'd bother lifting. Meaning I have to constantly have my hand on the bag.

If you just want to do some tying, I have one of the older iPaqs, the RX series that cost about £30 on eBay (the RX 199x's are smaller than the higher powered ones, and I actually found the higher power version about the same in speed and it crashed frequently). They're REALLY good for £30. You can type, synchronize emails, watch videos, stick 4 - ?8gb? cards in them, play old Amiga games on the emulators, make notes blah blah blah.

For typing, I have a fold out keyboard that is one of the most impressive bits of engineering I've seen. There is absolutely NO wasted space, the keys are normal size, it's aluminium, yet the entire thing will genuinely go in a pocket without sticking out or making it impossible to move. And it cost about £5.

I also like the calendar and address book, since it'll remind me of birthdays (something I routinely forget) and I can cram tons of details in on the contacts, multiple phone numbers, addresses, emails and so on. All in something the size of a 20 pack of cigarettes.

I can't stand Applie, but the iPad looks okay. The iPaq is still about ten times cheaper, far smaller and far less stealable - the pad thing isn't going in a pocket, so the only benefit is the nice screen and videos really.
iPad2 cases
ipad2 cases leather
ipad2 leather case

Been there, done that.
I use my laptop at a desk now.

[Edited on 12/12/1985 by MiaDoderer]
Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2011 at 04:46

SPAM :p

Go To Top