Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sugars affecting protein folding?
lawnchairskank
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 23:51
Sugars affecting protein folding?

Can sugars denature enzymes? Could the aldehyde/ketone group bond to an amino group and mess with the way an enzyme is folded? What would be the most reactive sugars? Thanks
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 00:17

I have not heard of ordinary sugars on their own denaturing enzymes. Enzymes are usually denatured by high heat, about 100ÂșC, or by strong mineral acids or alkalis or oxidants. The most reactive ordinary sugars (i.e. not containing highly reactive unnatural substituents) would be the oxidized ones containing carboxylic acid groups, like tartaric or gluconic acids, noting also that they occur in optically active enantiomers which would react differently with enzymes.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
15-12-2009 at 00:41
lawnchairskank
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 08:58

Thanks.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 17:40

There are rather rare occurrences, however, when the aldehyde/ketone group reacts with other groups in the protein (i.e. lysines).
Unfortunately this will require detailed scrutiny of the literature for details. But generally sugar groups are fairly benign.

Nonetheless, sugars will undoubtedly affect the way proteins fold, as I recall >50% of all proteins are glycosylated - you go and figure as to the importance of glycosylation. (if there was no reason for glycosylation to evolve, it wouldn't have - therefore it has a significant role)

Enzymes (like any other protein) denature depending on their own properties- sometimes a 5 deg C temperature rise is enough, sometimes (as with thermostable (thermophile) enzymes) they are most active at high temperatures. This is altogether quite empirical- as transfering the properties of one enzyme to another with reasonable sequence identity doesn't mean at all that it will behave the same way.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 17:52

Which "sugar" so you mean?

Sucrose, for example, does not denature proteins (enzymes) so far as I know. In fact, it can prevent (e.g. stabilize) the denaturization of protein that can result from extremes of pH and/or temperature (or complexes with various metal ions).

For example, when acidified, BSA (bovine serum albumin) precipitates from solution. This does *not* occur if there is ~5% or more of sucrose present in the solution. Sucrose has also been demonstrated to increase the thermostability of protein (I can forward references if desired).

This is why most commerical enzyme preparations include sucrose in the mix.

Reducing sugars, however, can (slowly) react with the terminal (e.g. N-e-NH2-) of lysine and/or arginine to yield glycated products (pentosidine dimers, etc.). This can lead to the crosslinking of proteins such as collagen, in-vivo. The term Advanced Glycation Endproducts (AGEs) seems appropriate as the reaction is implicated in the aging process. See also the "Maillard reaction". Similar behavior has been noted in rat tendon in-vitro.

See diabetes specifically. Uncontrolled glucose/fructose in the blood glycates, crosslinks and hardens arteries, eye lenses, etc to where a 21 year-old uncontrolled diabetic chemically resembles a 70+ year old.

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 16-12-2009 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein

Go To Top