Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkaline hydrolysis of Nylon
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 21:15
Alkaline hydrolysis of Nylon

Negative results are still useful, so I report here failure to hydrolyse Nylon with concentrated NaOH in boiling ethylene glycol.

There is a thread somewhere around here about hydrolysing PET plastic under these conditions to produce terephthalic acid, and that works wonderfully well, but I wondered if Nylon could be hydrolysed similarly.

I used the cut-off bristles from an old toothbrush, 5 g NaOH and 10 ml ethylene glycol in a stainless-steel container. The Nylon fibres melted into a blob and did not seem to be inclined to dissolve, except when prolonged heating boiled off the glycol. Unfortunately there was no smell of amines, so I conclude that no hydrolysis took place.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2009 at 22:01

Nylon can also be made from caprolactam/aminocaproic acid, which I believe is slower to hydrolyse than nylon 6/6; bristles for toothbrushes are frequently made from this nylon-6. The resulting salt is not going to be volatile, so no amine smell would be expected.

Acid hydrolysis is generally faster than alkaline for most nylons.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 20-4-2009 at 05:27

Basically you are not hitting it hard enough!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g57q727174577212/fulltex...

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2009 at 22:04

Maybe the NaOH/KOH eutectic mixture melting at 170 degrees would be a good option. I'll have to call around at Payless Plastics and get some nylon rope.

My biggest problem in experimenting is finding a source of finely-divided nylon.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 26-4-2009 at 19:54

Just cryo-pulverise it if you are wanting some finely divided material from block stock. Dry ice temperatures will render it more than brittle enough for this.

A basic methodology would be
-Wash and towel dry a mortar and pestle
-place small chunks of plastic material into mortar, placce pestle over the top, wrap some kitchen wrap over the top.
-place mortar and pestle into a slightly larger container and fill around with dry ice
-leave for around 30minutes
-remove mortar and pestle, hold firmly with cryo gloved hand (a welding glove is fine for this if you don't have cryo gloves)
-pulverise, stopping when you notice plastic behaviour in the material, ie when it no longer feels like you are grinding sandy material
-leave for a few moments, the mortar will heat sink away the heat from the grinding rendering your material brittle again
-repeat and continue, re-cooling in dry ice if neccessary
-presto!!

If you want more efficient cooling a dry ice/ethanol/methanol/acetone slurry is more efficient but i find annoyingly messy and not worth the bother.
Material from such a procedure can be used to run solid IR's. for quick fairly infallible (love that adjective combination)plastic identification

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 02:04

I read with envy of places where dry ice is readily available. It just isn't used in New Zealand, it has to be purchased from industrial gas suppliers.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:11

There is a device for making dry ice---attached to a cylinder of CO2 it can produce DI in powder form which is more convenient for cold slurries than solid blocks. . .
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2009 at 06:41

Unraveled nylon rope or twine does well for hydrolysis, as does old nylon stockings. Chopped nylon is often available at ceramics and fiberglass supply stores, for use as an additive.

[Edited on 27-4-2009 by not_important]

Go To Top