Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crysallization of two salts from 1 solution?
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 08:23
Crysallization of two salts from 1 solution?

Gents: are there two chemicals as follows?

1. Not terribly toxic
2. Will not crystallize on each other (ie, Alum+Chrome alum are out).
3. Saturated solutions of each won't react with each other (ie, NaN03+KCl are out).

I'd like to make 2 saturated solutions, pour them together, hang a seed crystal of each in the liquor, and show that concept that minerals prefer to crystallize on their own kind.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 08:50

Quote:
Originally posted by jgourlay

[...] and show that concept that minerals prefer to crystallize on their own kind.

Hmmm, that may not prove so easy to do: from saturated solutions crystals will usually grow on any type of impurity introduced (i.e. your hanging seed crystals).

Many such mixtures as you're looking for will also form eutectics.

Separating crystalline, water soluble compounds by means of crystallizing them out of a solution is usually referred to as <i>fractionated crystallisation</i>. In that technique one salt starts to crystallise out from the liquor, with the other concentrating in the liquor. This provides a partial separation, which can be repeated (in cascade, as it were) often enough to obtain complete separation (compound A as crystals, compound B as a solution). Fairly simple to execute fractional crystallizations (for example involving salts with different colours) should be available through Google searches.

This more or less illustrates the principle you are alluding to.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 11:22

This should be possible with many inorganic salts; as soon as a seed-crystal is brought in it will get it's own material out of the solution; thereby the solubility of the other material increases, and so it has no reason to grow on the substrate too.

What might be tried: Salts of the same acid (chloride, nitrate), but with different structures; eg. I believe CaCl2 OR BaCl2 hae a different structure than MgCl2, because of the mich higher ionic radii of Ba/Ca vs. Mg; OR: A divalent salt vs. a monovalent; because of the different stoechiometric ratio they will have different structures; therefrom crystallizing on theyr own.

But there always are exceptions, and one material may well for whatever reasons give a good substrate for another, as long as lattice-constants are within 4-5 % of each-other ...
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 12:16

Chief: so....for example CuSO4 and Alum? Same acid, very different structures...

And in the cabinet already! :D
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 12:35

You could also try a mix of solutions of sugar and table salt. The one is a salt, the other is a covalent organic compound. Both dissolve well in water. It might be an interesting experiment on its own to see how such a mix behaves.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 14:23

@jgourlay: Yes, thats the sort of idea ...
@woelen: But sugar will make the solution very viscous, so either no sugar would crystallize, or it would be a diffusion-limited process. This might be useful to affect the crystal-shape ...
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 14:58

The likehood of a double salt crystallizing from the solution is quite substantial. Of course, there are the alums, M(I)2SO4.M(III)2(SO4)3.24H2O, which are hydrous sulfates (and also selenates and chromates) of a wide range of univalent (e.g. alkali metals, NH4+, Tl+, Ag+) and trivalent (e.g. Al+++, Ga+++, Fe+++, Cr+++, V+++, Mn+++, Co+++, In+++, Tl+++, and probably some rare-earths) cations. There are also mixed halides like carnallite, KCl.MgCl2.6H2O, and mixed carbonates, like dolomite CaMg(CO3)2 which is distinct from both calcite/aragonite and magnesite. Less soluble double salts crystallize out under mostly hydrothermal conditions, mostly mixed silicates like feldspar and beryl and topaz.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 8-12-2008 at 19:37

I have a variety of things that seem to... copper chloride (in excess) and salt (forms Na2CuCl4), K2SO4 (or it might be KHSO4) and CuSO4, who knows what else. These I know best because I know that's what's in solution and I recognize the crystal forms (like the bisulfate's octahedra) or at least the chemistry (I don't know what Na2CuCl4 is supposed to look like, but that stuff must be it!).

Simultaneous crystallization is hard to achieve, most often you get a pasty grunge of fine crystals difficult to seperate. It's like an eutectic, the two phases grow from solution simultaneously and in direct control of each other; thus as one precipitates, the other is supersaturated and precipitates, etc. Come to think of it, a finely filtered solution (I often gravity filter solutions through packed glass wool, which is often very slow, but will stop everything) is probably the best, as then there are few nucleation sites.

If you want to try, you'll want to start with crystals that really like to form in the first place. Copper sulfate and potassium sulfate are two good candidates; they are very stable crystals, grow crystals well, look and grow differently, and won't react in solution (in any further sense). I would guess to recommend: dissolve in distilled water (K2SO4 first, as it's already low solubility), filter through colloidial-grabbing filter media, then leave in a warm, dry place with a dust cover for a few weeks. Check every couple of days and see what happens. You might even add a seed crystal of each type to see if you can grow each individually (should).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 05:29

Tim, potassium sulfate and copper sulfate form a double salt in the form of a hexahydrate. A potential candidate for the original request would also suffice for a demonstration of common ion effect. To a saturated potassium sulfate solution, add an excess of saturated KCl solution. The sulfate willl deposit and can be separated from the chloride still in solution. You could start with slightly less than saturated solutions and go for a more gradual deposition. Be sure to test your chloride filtrate with barium chloride for the presence of sulfate ions.:)

[Edited on 12/9/2008 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 07:30

Ah, then it must be KHSO4. Well, they're octahedral- and come to think of it, I don't recall K2SO4 being octahedral.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 07:33

Maybe it will be easier to choose the other way around: One metal and 2 acids, which are structurally incompatible.
Eg. the cloride vs. carbonate or nitrate (XO3 are both planar), or vs. sulfate (SO4 2- is a tetrahedron) .
From my experience : Na2SO4 and Na2CO3, both with similar solubility-curves over the temp-range, crystallize each separately.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 19:54

The crystallization of minerals is a function of pressure, temperature, activity and equilibria... all interrelated. Phase diagrams and equations of state are used to predict their formations. Look up concepts in books on petrology, mineralogy and physical chemistry. When one finds minerals crystallizing together its because the conditions for the mineral's precipitation/formation have been met. It's not a "birds of a feather" kind of thing. I suggest getting clear on the concept to be demonstrated before conceiving a demo. Consider pegmatities. They are what's left over after a magma has crystaliized as a rock of a certain type that takes specific quantities of Si, O, Na, Ca, Fe, Mn, some trace elements. The left over material forms some wonderful minerals that depend on what exactly was left from the melt. You get muscovite mica books, tourmaline, garnets, some really exotic stuff too... Also consider the humble geode. It starts as a bubble in a lava. Hot mineralized water works its way into it and deposits quartz if the water is rich in silica or calcite of the water is stongly basic. Sometimes more than one episode is represented and alternating layers of different minerals are formed from different solutions. "Solutions & Equilibria" good text, I'll have to look up the author (Harvard geochemist).

[Edited on 9-12-2008 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 28-1-2015 at 15:20

Solutions, Minerals, and Equilibria
Book by Robert Garrels
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2015 at 05:43

Sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate definitely do form a double salt.

I think salt and sugar is the best suggestion so far.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2015 at 09:02

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate definitely do form a double salt.

Any credible references to that effect?

Go To Top