Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tetramethylthiuram monosulfide and other Related Compounds without CS2
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-11-2008 at 21:43
Tetramethylthiuram monosulfide and other Related Compounds without CS2

I have been trying to find information on the preparation of Tetramethylthiuram monosulfide (pictured above and known by the somewhat strange acronym UNADS) that do not involve the use of Carbon Disulfide. Or even related compounds the disulfides and polysulfides of thiurams like disulfiram (of Antabuse fame). These compounds area also used widely in the Rubber Accelerant industry and as Fungicides from my research.

Again, the sticking point is that methods I have come across all use CS<sub>2</sub> in some step of their preparation (Via the dithiocarbamate anion). Because the literature available to me is somewhat limited and the use of these chemicals specialized I am hopeful that someone on this forum will be helpful in giving me a guiding light.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2008 at 00:12

A cursory search at SciFinder gives only syntheses starting from CS<sub>2</sub>. I guess I could search in Beilstein as well - that would surely give more hits - but somehow I think there are little chances to find some synthesis not involving CS<sub>2</sub>. Perhaps from Me<sub>2</sub>NCOCl (which is commercially available) and Na<sub>2</sub>S? That would be quite more expensive and would not make much sense acquisition-wise.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top