Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uranyl Oxalate
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 18-7-2007 at 06:56
Uranyl Oxalate

I`m trying to obtain UO2 via the Oxalate route from Uranyl Nitrate, a source says that the simple addition of Oxalic acid to Uranyl Nitrate soln will ppt the oxalate.

well I tried this and it didn`t, so I thought how about Sodium Oxalate (that seemed to make more sense to me) and it still didn`t ppt.

I don`t want to directly decomp the nitrate, a wet reaction only is what I`m after.

sadly I seem to be having a blonde moment!

anyone have any ideas?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 18-7-2007 at 13:55

Uranyl nitrate is probably acidic? Adding a few percent oxalic acid will just make that worse, and oxalate is a weak acid compared to nitric. So, it just sits there with protons hanging on, not able to cling to Uranus-named atoms.

(I had to put in some sort of "cling to Uranus" reference, and even made grammatical sense with it! :D :P )

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2007 at 21:15

Uranium forms complexes with oxalic acid, and with many other anions as well. LANL sez to do it in 2-3N HCl, no more than a 10% excess of oxalic acid, chill the solution and let it stand for some time.

There is a basic problem with what you propose to do. Uranyl nitrate is [U(VI+)O2](2+)(NO3)2 Just adding oxalic acid gives UO2(C2O4).3H2O, still hexavalent uranium. Heating it will give U3O8. To get UO2 you would have to ignite the oxalate in a stream of hydrogen, heating UO2 in air gives U3O8, the hydrated forms can be oxidised to hydrated UO3 by air.

Exposing a solution of a uranyl salt and oxalic acid to sunlight results in a dark green precipitate of U(C2O4)2. It's proably best to have enough ammonium oxalate to combine with 1/2 to 3/4 of the anion of the uranyl salt, and an excess of oxalic acid over what is needed to reduce U(VI) to U(IV).

Go To Top