Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange Orange Powder?
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 08:48
Strange Orange Powder?

I`ve been experimenting with Red Phos today and to cut a long story short This one in particular I found Very Strange!?

equal parts by volume of RP and Alu powder (10 Micron) in a test tube, total mass roughly 50mg.
this was then capped with a small hole in the cap, and then CO2 gas was injected into the tube to remove any air.

this was then heated over a flame, within about 4 seconds a gas was evolved that filled the tube and some came out of the cap vent but did nothing on air exposure beyond disipate.
the gas color was a dirty orange color and Very dense, it condensed easily on the inside of the tube, a few seconds more heating and the RP/Alu mix reacted with a steady self sustaining glow like a gentle thermit reaction.

upon cooling this orange material like a powder made it impossible to see through the test tube, when the cap was removed it didn`t glow in the dark so doubt it was white phos.

any idea what this orange powder is?

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 09:25

OK, forget the Alu part of the experiment, it works just as well with the RP and CO2 also.

also the original exp with the Alu, I added a little water to it, the orange stuff catches fire when water hits it in the denser areas also.

the alu phosphide works just great though, so that seems unaffected by it (happily).

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)

Go To Top