Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old Poison Advertisement
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 05:11
Old Poison Advertisement

Hi,

So I was just watching this interesting documentation on a book I read a long time ago called 'The poisoner's handbook'.
The book and especially the TV adaptation was really good. They showed some old advertisement from the early 1920s for example on Cyanides, Thallium and Arsenic poisons (rat, ant, ....).

Since I focus a lot on the chemistry of toxic elements and especially on the chemistry of Cyanides I'd be interested in some of these old wallpapers. I'd like to reprint them (perhaps Photoshop them before to get away edges and dirty paper) and hang them up in my room as decoration.

No, I am not familiar with the old US products and I looked through some archives but couldn't much. If anyone can give me additional links, product names or ideas I'd be really thankful.

By now I found a lot on the compound called "Cyanogas". If you google for it there are a lot of interesting adverts on this pesticide.
Then of course the famous "Zyklon B" although I am not sure if this is really a good idea for a wallpaper.

I found some fumigation warning labels with Phosphine and HCN so there are a lot of these.

Then there was the famous pesticide called "rough on rats". The had a lot of artwort and I think they would look quite good if printed well. It contained Arsenic as far as I know.

So if anyone has additional compounds for Arsenic and espeically Thallium (by now I couldnt find anything good for thallium) or vintage adverts, labels, ... for pesticides, rat poison whatever I'd be interested in the names or even better a link to the picture.

Thank you in advance, maybe someone knows something interesting to add.
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 05:19

Hello Fluorescence,
This article would maybe interest you:
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=12732
Some pics from that article:

images.jpeg - 16kBimages-3.jpeg - 12kB

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 4-7-2016 at 07:28

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I know about Radium but I wanted to exlude this from my collection.
On one had just radioactive so nothing I'm working with and second I think this was kind of stupid
to use the products. People didnt know any better back then but using these commercials now makes
me feel a little sad. But thank you anyway. I continue more on toxins that were known to be dangerous and were advertised for this particular reason.

Go To Top