Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High temp (400 F min) caulk/silicone/sement/glue - possibly drill-able?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 01:02
High temp (400 F min) caulk/silicone/sement/glue - possibly drill-able?

Does anyone know of a product that is similar to silicone caulk that is moderately heat resistant and is drill able (possibly able to anchor a screw into it)?

I need a fair quantity of 12-28 oz's.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 02:17

JB Weld

Beginning construction of periodic table display
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 04:36

In terms of 'similar' do you mean in terms of application, color, chemical resistance, elasticity, etc? You're going to hit the most points just with a standard high-temperature silicone like Permatex Hi-Temp, but I am not sure if that is going to be sufficiently structurally sound enough to anchor into. Then again it all depends on your surface area contact and if you're doing this smart enough if the anchor will hold. For example if you undercut whatever area you are filling in with silicone so that the seam/hold gets larger toward the bottom then it will wedge itself as upward pressure is applied from the anchor. Personally I used to use fireplace cement for high-temperature applications but those were much higher than 400F, and at that temperature you won't even be able to cure fireplace cement.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
JB Weld

I was hoping that would work as I was REALLY impressed with it last time I used it. It's amazing stuff! When I looked at it prior to posting the page quoted 300F max temp but after looking at other sources I see that it is 500F sustained and 600F max. - looks like the first place may have had a mistype. Thanks for the suggestion.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2016 at 07:41

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
In terms of 'similar' do you mean in terms of application, color, chemical resistance, elasticity, etc? You're going to hit the most points just with a standard high-temperature silicone like Permatex Hi-Temp, but I am not sure if that is going to be sufficiently structurally sound enough to anchor into. Then again it all depends on your surface area contact and if you're doing this smart enough if the anchor will hold. For example if you undercut whatever area you are filling in with silicone so that the seam/hold gets larger toward the bottom then it will wedge itself as upward pressure is applied from the anchor. Personally I used to use fireplace cement for high-temperature applications but those were much higher than 400F, and at that temperature you won't even be able to cure fireplace cement.

I considered fireplace cement but don't know how it dries. What I'm looking for is to be able to seal Al pipe on the end (max 1" deep in depth & max 2" diam). Water will flow through and carry heat away - heat source should be no more than 500F on VERY rare occasions and for short time - normal temp probably 300-350.

As far as drillable/mountable, it should be able to hold a wood screw if possible (this is the least important aspect and can be ignored if a superior alternative is available as other options for connecting/mounting are available).

Go To Top