Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Radial Cooling Fin: temperature profile and heat loss
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 08:11

I'd like to see some math! Or a picture explaining the problem. AAHA and you could be looking at two different problems.

Anyways this really sounds like a job for finite element simulation. If I was better with ELMER FEM a numerical solution for this could probably be found very quickly.

[Edited on 10-5-2015 by smaerd]

Edit - http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/heat/heat1003.html Does this have the temperature profile you are looking for?

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
I'd like to see some math! Or a picture explaining the problem. AAHA and you could be looking at two different problems.

Anyways this really sounds like a job for finite element simulation. If I was better with ELMER FEM a numerical solution for this could probably be found very quickly.

Edit - http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/heat/heat1003.html Does this have the temperature profile you are looking for?

The geometry is simple enough not to require finite element analysis, although a quick numerical solution would be useful, of course.

I think AAHD and I are now on the same wavelength re. the geometry. It's the geometry outlined in your link (thanks for that!)

That page's approach is slightly different from mine and at first glance correct. Damned Bessel functions though!

[Edited on 10-5-2015 by blogfast25]

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 10:50

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

First you manage to misinterpret the problem (and think I’m insulting you when I point that out!)

You did.

Next you tell me you’ve arrived at the same conclusion as me but that simply isn’t true. (How could they be the same if I didn’t take the circular geometry into account, huh? Think about that for 5 minutes)
[Edited on 10-5-2015 by blogfast25]

Your solution is valid for a long rectangular fin attached to a wall. I get the same solution for this geometry. If I assume a circular geometry, the solution involves Bessel functions. Bessel functions are normal in circular geometry.

e<sup>ax</sup> + e<sup>a(2R1-x)</sup> is not cosh(a(2R1-x), for instance.

I didn't say it was. I said my formula was equivalent to yours. Note that my formula involves cosh a(R1-x), not cosh a(2R1-x). Factor out 2 exp aR1 from your numerator and denominator, and it becomes my formula. I don't claim that this is a big deal. I'm agreeing with your solution completely, but only for rectangular geometry.

Then you tell me I’ve not taken the circular geometry into account but I can assure you I have. I would not have formulated the problem as “A single radial cooling fin (circular plate, hot tube runs perpendicularly through centre) mounted on a tube with radius R0. Outer radius of fin is R1, uniform fin thickness is t. With x the radial distance from the centre of the tube”, if I hadn’t taken the geometry into account, that should go without saying really.

In the setting up of the differential equation, which is the heat balance of a thermostatic infinitesimal element, the circular geometry is taken into account. Due to symmetry it simplifies a lot, though. Symmetry is a mathematician’s best friend.

You described the problem verbally as involving circular geometry, but you did not show your derivation, only the solution. Your solution applies in rectangular geometry, not circular.

I will write this up as a pdf and send it. In the meantime, I have a challenge for you, if you think you solved the problem in circular geometry. Work out the problem in rectangular geometry. Then either show me how the solution is different in rectangular geometry, or else claim to me that the geometry makes no difference.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 11:03

I was looking at a different problem at the beginning. I didn't understand the physical model b25 was using. Now I do understand it. He is using a phenomenological model for the convection from the surface, which assumes that the local heat flux (W/m^2) due to convection is proportional to the difference between the ambient temperature and the local temperature of the fin. It's a reasonable model to begin with for a fin in quiet air.

[Edited on 10-5-2015 by annaandherdad]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 09:00

Ok, mystery solved.

Although my derivation did take circular geometry into account, due to an error in setting up the infinitesimal I obtained a DE of the general type:

d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> – a<sup>2</sup>y = 0

And not of the type:

d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> + (1/x)dy/dx – c<sup>2</sup>y = 0

As coincidence would have it, the first type leads to a solution similar of that for a rectangular fin (but my definition of a is different, so not exactly the same either).

So yes, modified Bessel functions pop up. Pity!

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 09:32

If you mean that your "c" in this post is different from your "a" in your earlier post, then I disagree. I get c=a=sqrt(2h/kt), same as your definition of a. This is shown in my earlier post in which I gave the solution in terms of the modified bessel functions I_0(ar) and K_0(ar).

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 10:32

A strange feature of this model and solution is that it assumes that the heat flux is purely in the radial direction (or x-direction, in the rectangular geometry), which would make it tangent to the surface of the fin. However, heat is radiating away from the fin, so by conservation of energy, the heat flux must have a component normal to the surface, just below the surface, which must equal the heat flux transferred convectively away from the surface. Evidently this normal component must be small compared to the component tangential to the surface, in order for the model to be valid.

Also, since the heat flux inside the fin is normal to the contour surfaces of temperature T, the contours surfaces inside the fin must be bowed outward slightly (in the x-direction) in the middle of the fin, that is, the temperature is slightly higher in the middle of the fin. This is logical physically, but in order to account carefully for conservation of energy it is interesting to see how much the contours are bowed.

Analyze this in rectangular geometry, for simplicity. Center the fin on the x-axis, with the y-axis vertical and orthogonal to the surface of the fin. The fin lies in the x-z plane. A solution of the Laplace equation inside the fin (|y| <= t/2) is

T(x,y) - T_infty = cos(ay) [A exp(ax) + B exp(-ax)],

for constants A,B. Only cosine terms are kept in y because of symmetry we must have T(x,y) = T(x,-y). This is a solution of the Laplace equation for all values of a, but it turns out that for the solution we want, a=sqrt(2h/kt), as defined by b25, so I'm not redefining symbols here. But this has to be shown.

The flux vector is given by J = -k grad T, or J_y = -k partial T/partial y. Evaluating this at y=t/2, you get

J_y(x,t/2) = ka sin(at/2)[A exp(ax) + B exp(-ax)].

But by the model for the conductive layer, this must equal

J_y(x,t/2) = h (T-T_infty).

Combining equations then gives

h cos(at/2) = ka sin(at/2),

or,

a tan(at/2) = h/k.

Graphically it is easy to see that this equation has an infinite number of solutions in a, but we are interested only in the smallest one. If we assume that at << 1, then this solution is given by approximating tan x approx = x, or

a^2 = 2h/kt,

same as earlier definition. The condition at << 1 is inherent in the model used here. It is physically reasonable if you think about it, but it doesn't come out in an obvious way in a simplified derivation in which you just balance energy flows into and out of an element of the fin.

If at/2 << 1, then ay/2 << 1 for all y inside the fin, and the sin and cos of ay/2 can be approximated. This gives

T(x,y) - T_infty = [1-(1/2)(ay)^2] [A exp(ax) + B exp(-ax)]

showing the bulge in the middle of the temperature profile. The temperature contour is roughly parabolic, and the center is hotter than the surface by an amount,

T(center) = T(surface) + [T(surface)-T_infty] (at)^2/8.

The same formulas for the shape of the temperature contours inside the fin are obtained in circular geometry.

In this way conservation of energy is accounted for.

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by annaandherdad]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 11:39

Theory and Maths are wonderful.

The maths are frankly beyond my means.

Experimentation however would prove/disprove the mathematically derived claims, and measuring Heat is pretty much within our grasp.

Make a heatsink (bit of metal), heat it (candle), measure the temperatures at various points and test if the maths work as expected.

Now the results of that'd be interesting.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Experimentation however would prove/disprove the mathematically derived claims, and measuring Heat is pretty much within our grasp.

Now the results of that'd be interesting.

The math is applied to physics that's as safe as houses and equally well established.

The math itself is routine (advanced calculus).

Some assumptions we know are not 100 % correct:

1. h and k may not be very accurately known and not completely independent of temperature. But you'd use a different set up to measure that.

2. Convection at end of fin is small but not zero.

3. Radiation was neglected. Only works at reasonably low T. Model could be modified for that though.

Experimentation (not w/o problems either) is very unlikely to unearth something new/wrong here.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 14:46

Experimentation would at the very least provide some Factual Foundation to the maths being spouted.

A complex Conduction/Convection/Radiation system following a hyperbolic cosine function almost perfectly ?

Reality seldom does that.

Proof please, if anyone would be so kind.

[Edited on 11-5-2015 by aga]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 14:54

Proof please, if anyone would be so kind.

Aga, what tolerance would you allow to consider the experimental results to verify the math?

I didn't realize that this was just an academic exercise (mental masturbation*). I thought blog25 needed this result for practical purposes.

*(I indulge in this occasionaly myself. ;))

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2015 at 16:20

Experimentation would at the very least provide some Factual Foundation to the maths being spouted.

A complex Conduction/Convection/Radiation system following a hyperbolic cosine function almost perfectly ?

As Magpie also hinted, you're somewhat pissing the point.

Experimental verification of the temperature profile has measuring error. It's an estimate of the 'true' curve, requiring several replica measurements and some nifty math statistics to obtain it. Uncertainty on it is inherent.

Where a model is based on established science and math, experimental verification is not required, only verification of HOW the model has been arrived at. Some of its weaknesses we already know.

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I thought blog25 needed this result for practical purposes.

I did. It's seems I probably don't anymore though.

[Edited on 12-5-2015 by blogfast25]

annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 08:22

Hi, smaerd, you would use a finite element computer code to solve PDE's such as the Laplace equation in an irregular geometry. The temperature satisfies the Laplace equation Del^2 T = 0 in equilibrium in any homogeneous medium. But blogfast's model is simplified, and doesn't require the solution of the Laplace equation. The simplification is possible because the fin is thin, so you just assume that the temperature is constant across the thin direction of the fin, and that it only depends on the radius (for the circular fin). However, I did solve the Laplace equation in my previous note, in order to understand better the flow of heat inside the fin and to resolve an apparent paradox. I did not use a computer code to do this because the Laplace equation is separable in rectangular geometry and can be solved analytically.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 08:43

Edit -
AnnaandHerDad - Woops misunderstood what you were saying. Yea there is some radial symmetry which doesn't necessitate FEM, but I'm lazy.

[Edited on 13-5-2015 by smaerd]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top