Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arsenic in wine
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 05:23
Arsenic in wine

100 parts per billion allowed in Canada. Throw in some apple juice and rice.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-claims-high-levels-arsen...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 07:02

Need more information to evaluate that- A product you drink a bottle of per week vs. one you consume daily, take showers and baths in, cook all your food with?

And the guy bringing the lawsuit got more high readings than press trying to replicate. Contaminated equipment? Sample collection bias?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 08:27

Some people drink wine every day for the supposed health benefit or just because they like wine. I was walking my dog and a few blocks down a bright retired gentleman was rolling his garbage can out to the street filled to the brim with wine bottles. And some people eat rice every day. There's probably a few people who consume both each day. But yes, I would agree with the one bottle a week notion, but not only is arsenic cumulative from other sources, it's cumulative with other harmful substances wearing away at your body. Then you get to surmise somehow the whole picture of how many parts per million of crap you eat every day or how taken as a whole, how they might interact with each other - eye of newt, wing of bat.

A few weeks ago I was looking at some smoked oysters at Walmart and glanced at the Product of China statement. Then I picked up a tin of mussels from China with the brand name Polar and unlike the packages I looked at on the Internet, the ones in this store, the very first thing you read on the back of the package (not the side of the package as an afterthought) is a glaring "this product contains lead and cadmium known to ...". I almost bought it for a souvenir. I bet Polar doesn't like that.

"Polar has been sourcing the best quality seafood since 1976 and the importance of taste, safety, and quality is our top priority. Polar shellfish products are cleaned, cooked, and canned, providing a great addition to any of your recipes for convenience and value."
http://www.mwpolar.com/shellfish.html

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Morgan]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 14:02

Without speciation of the arsenic, the data is pretty meaningless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenobetaine
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 14:06

1 bottle of wine a week would be a Very Low estimate.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 17:25

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Without speciation of the arsenic, the data is pretty meaningless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenobetaine

When I first posted the topic I ran across a toxicity topic on organic and inorganic arsenic, not related to the wine story.

This is a scant reference though on the wine kind.
"The 28 California wineries accused in the lawsuit “produce and market wines that contain dangerously high levels of inorganic arsenic, in some cases up to 500 percent or more than what is considered the maximum acceptable safe daily intake limit,” the lawsuit alleges."
http://patch.com/california/banning-beaumont/drink-any-these...
http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Burg+Simpson+Lau...

Something more.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/227311578_Determinat...

[Edited on 20-3-2015 by Morgan]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 18:28

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
1 bottle of wine a week would be a Very Low estimate.

(But Aga, remember, you view this from the perspective of a civilized person...)

Hey, only 2.82 gallons/resident/year average use here in USA- I am probably below average.

http://www.wineinstitute.org/resources/statistics/article86

On the other hand, contaminate the CHEAP ASS BUNNY PISS GRADE BEER SUPPLY, you'll kill most of the people in our neighboring states!

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/07/01/states-that-d...

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

DistractionGrating
Hazard to Self

Mood: Precipitated

[*] posted on 19-3-2015 at 22:52

I live and work in Napa Valley. Seven bottles a week is more like it.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 08:34

I make my own, and only go through three or four bottles a week. Unless my mother's visiting.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 00:11

I've planted about. 40 raspberry and blackberry bushes 2 years back, am going to try making some wine from these-

But it's going to take a few years before they will be drinkable.

The water table our well is in here has a surprising amount of Arsenic and heavy metals. Not industrial contamination, we are on 200' + of glacial "till" pushed down from the Canadian Shield rock formation. Lovely rock for mining, not so good to filter your drinking water through. I don't care to drink it without putting it through a reverse osmosis unit, and I can tell my garden plants don't do well on it either, they like collected rain water or surface water from the nearby swamp much better.

Do the grape vines themselves concentrate metaloids or heavy metals???

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 03:52

You might find this comforting
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01904169709365258...
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 10:35

"Wine producers in the northern California wine country, including Sonoma,
Napa, Lake and Mendocino counties, encounter high levels of arsenic in
groundwater extracted for use in wine processing and irrigation. These
producers must lower arsenic levels to newer drinking water standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California’s
Department of Health Services. Arsenic removal is also indicated to ensure
product safety and to maintain customer confidence in wine products.
Graver Technologies LLC, in cooperation with its water treatment partners,
has installed more than a dozen state-of-the-art treatment systems that use MetSorb™ HMRG adsorbent media to remove arsenic."

Case Study: Northern California Wine Country Tackles Arsenic
Contaminant in Groundwater
http://www.gravertech.com/PDF/MetSorb/cs/WineCountryCaseStud...

"But they did find it in the diatomaceous earth. "We analyzed kieselguhr," Coelhan told a news conference at the ACS meeting in New Orleans on April 7, using the German word for diatomaceous earth. "We found high concentrations of extractable arsenic."

Arsenic In Beer May Come From Widely Used Filtering Process
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/08/176587506/arseni...

[Edited on 21-3-2015 by Morgan]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 05:54

Along with the arsenic, here's that mention of heavy metals in some Polar brand oysters from China. Next to them were some Bumble Bee brand smoked oysters as well, they too said they were farm raised, product of China but didn't carry the heavy metal warning.

005.JPG - 144kB001.JPG - 201kB
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 17:16

Interestingly, before antibiotics, Arsenic was actually used to treat some diseases by your doctor no less.

For the record, I don't recommend it, but I do find silver (which was used to treat burn victims in World War I) and now, especially nano silver particles, an interesting alternative to potentially (in my uncertified/unaccredited medical opinion) mitigate the problem of microbes growing resistance to antibiotics, and just not focus on building a stronger antibiotic.

By the way, I have used an oral chelate (EDTA) tablet (available from health food stores) as a general supplement to address what I perceive, as an increasing exposure from all heavy metals in our environment (general water quality issues). However, I am not sure on how effective it actually is, but perhaps, apparently, one should nevertheless be taking EDTA with your wine!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 17:39

I distinctly remember reading that people from some villages had developed increased levels of tolerance to As due to slightly higher than normal As levels in spring water they consumed basically from birth. I don't recall the details but will try and look it up.

As regards Cd and Pb in these oysters, that's pretty meaningless w/o actual numbers: you'd find almost any element in any sample using Neutron Activation Analysis!

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 06:03

Yeah that's just the ridiculous "State of California" warning they put on everything you've ever bought. If they could label air with a lead content warning they would.

It's also funny to me that the "Contains: Oysters" warning appears on the box of oysters. I never would have guessed!
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 08:02

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
I've planted about. 40 raspberry and blackberry bushes 2 years back, am going to try making some wine from these-

But it's going to take a few years before they will be drinkable.

Shouldn't take a few years. As long as you're not using more than three or four pounds of fruit per gallon of wine, raspberry and blackberry are some of the fastest-clearing and quickest-drinking wines I've ever made. They can be bottled and deliciously drinkable withing six months of picking the fruit.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 11:30

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Interestingly, before antibiotics, Arsenic was actually used to treat some diseases by your doctor no less.

It still is (rather ironically, to treat cancer).
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-gene...
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 12:47

Here's another source for lead to tack on to a daily allowance.

"In contrast, lead concentrations of manufactured cocoa and chocolate products were as high as 230 and 70 ng/g, respectively, which are consistent with market-basket surveys that have repeatedly listed lead concentrations in chocolate products among the highest reported for all foods."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16203244/

"The recent application by the European Community of a 1 microg Cd/g (wet weight) import limit to bivalve molluscs and the current deliberation by CODEX to adopt the same value, pose significant threats to the shellfish export trade in the Pacific Northwest (British Columbia, Washington and Alaska), where natural oceanographic conditions and coastal geology contribute to levels of Cd that usually exceed the 1 ppm limit."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15041066

"In 1999, shipments of oysters from British Columbia were turned back from the Hong Kong market because they exceeded limits on cadmium for imported shellfish. In 2000, testing of farmed oysters around Georgia Strait by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) confirmed that some BC oysters were extremely high in cadmium and the mean cadmium content was one third higher than Hong Kong standards."

"In the midst of these issues, in early February 2002, Health Canada issued a risk assessment advising that "regular consumers, including fisher persons or subsistence eaters" limit their consumption of British Columbia oysters to twelve a month for adults and one and a half for children, due to high cadmium content. Because cadmium is slowly accumulated and stored in the liver and kidney, Health Canada focused on the long-term local consumer."
http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/bc-oysters-face-cadm...

[Edited on 25-3-2015 by Morgan]

Go To Top