Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry curricula
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 14:52
Chemistry curricula

I see that a number of us are entering or taking a chemistry class of some sort. A lot of that discussion has taken place in the Chemistry Wiki thread, so to avoid cluttering the original thread, I've decided to start a new one where we can discuss chemistry classes of all levels.

I'll be taking Chem 140 A at university for the first quarter. As l have very little organic chemistry experience, it'll be nice to learn a little bit in the field. But I don't start classes until October. I'll update once I actually start taking the course.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 16:20

(From the wiki thread)
Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
The first few tests are the hardest, as you may have no idea what you're doing. However, it's quite unusual that you received said score on the test. I have noticed that practical amateur chemistry does not really require the precision of what is expected in chemistry classes; the goals of amateur chemistry generally involve getting from product A to product B through some new route - in other words, synthesis. What questions did you struggle with?
It isn't chemistry class that gives me problems. It' physics. I'm taking AP chemistry and AP physics this year. First AP chemistry test, I get a 98. First AP physics test, I get a 79.
It seems like physics is just not my thing. I'm sure it will get better, but it definitely isn't coming as naturally to me as chemistry does.
A good thing that happened at school today though was that I got to take home the extra potassium ferrioxalate that we synthesized. Everyone else in the class thought I was crazy. :)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 18:35

Yeah, physics isn't my strong suit either. I did well in most of it, but circuits killed me. Every time I see a thread on electronics, I feel the pain of circuit analysis. Considering that I have an electric guitar (which I kinda feel like modding now) I should know more about it than I do now.

I was still kinda surprised when I misread about your chemistry test score as being low, though.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 20:40

I'm taking Organic I right now as a sophomore, and it's amazing how simple some of of the concepts are once they're properly explained. Naming organic compounds is actually really easy once you've been told how.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 21:27

Ok ok ok what is a AP.

Every time I see it I read it as acetone peroxide, so when I read you guys were doing an TATP chemistry class this year, I was sort of horrified.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 21:38

I'm surprised you don't know. AP (Advanced Placement) courses are college level high school courses that come with a placement test. They're used internationally.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 21:44

Yeah Australia is always so behind in education. Gotta treat everyone equally, unless you have more money of course.

That explains how you guys are learning stuff I hadn't learnt until much later.

Oh well. At least university is cheaper here.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 11:28

Yay I'm taking my first organic chem class now!

Don't ask me what I'm doing as I have no idea.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 12:48

LOL.

It was Glass Cleaning.
Reagent X they told you to dissolve in water and apply to the Test patches on the glassware was Soap.

Part of the instructions were to 'Rinse Thoroughly' wasn't it ?

Go To Top