Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LAH + THF
soma
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-5-2013 at 19:01
LAH + THF

Is there a reaction between LAH and THF? I noticed that there is always fizzing when LAH is added to THF even after there's no longer any traces of water left in the THF.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-5-2013 at 06:29

The solvation of LiAlH4 with THF is very exothermic and should be done with extreme care, but there is no actual reaction going on.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2013 at 10:00

There is if you don't purge the flask with nitrogen first... It usually involves a fire if doe on a large scale. Seen it once. Not a good idea, especially if the THF is not real dry.

I would suggest always purging the empty, dry, flask with N2, then putting the THF or LAH in next, then purge the flask again carefully, then slowly adding the other (depending on scale, for small scale, add LAH second, for larger, sometimes easier to cannulate the THF in to flask of LAH, but ONLY if under N2.) and slowly adding the substrate as a soln in THF to the LAH slurry with good mixing. With Boranes, it is possible to react the boranes with the THF, if refluxing, to make 1,4-butanediol. This is harder to do with LAH, but I would guess it can happen if you let it get hot enough. Note, 1,4-butanediol is a real pain to remove from any product, being high boiling, somewhat water soluble, semi-polar and UV transparent. It sucks.
soma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-5-2013 at 10:12

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
The solvation of LiAlH4 with THF is very exothermic and should be done with extreme care, but there is no actual reaction going on.

Wondering why it is exothermic?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-5-2013 at 10:28

Search "enthalpy change in solution" on google or wikipedia.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top