International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 19-1-2013 at 17:46
Camping mug as reaction vessels

Camping mug are avaible in three main interesting material for home chemist:
Enamel iron
Stainless
Titanium

This topic is in memory of my old S.S mug, I bought it the same day I joined this forum. This mug served me greatly during the last three years, I melted metal, made high temp reaction, pyrolizis, boiled acid/ alkali, made glass, melted reaction mixture and the list go on. I can't take a picture but the mug is severely corroded. Yesterday, after roasting lead to red oxide a last time, 5 hole where found in it. I assure you it had greatly helped me in my work, I used it in 90%+ of my experiments. It was a very great tool that costed 9$ at the walmart.
In the next few day I will probably buy an enamel and a new S.S mug. I will still keep my old one, and try to fix it using normal steel weld.

Enamel mug are like glassware, but non-transparent and very resistant to thermal shock/melting. Never tried.

S.S give more impurity then bare iron in most experiments, however the corrosion is slower, and as such may be used for a long time.

Titanium should be more resistant to acid, but less to alkali than stainless. Impurity induced are not deranging. Extremely temperature resistant. Never tried.

I seriously recommend camping mug to any home chemist.

I never asked for this.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 19-1-2013 at 21:56

I use something similar for my sand/oil/water baths.

Go To Top