Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FNA Storage Bottles
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 22:29
FNA Storage Bottles

I've been looking high and low for some decent storage bottles. I've tried the caps with a foam backed PTFE liner and I'm still not satisfied. No matter what brand I try the foam liner promptly disintegrates, or the cap melts to the bottle. The best I've found so far are from McMaster Carr, mainly because they are cheaply replaceable @ 8 bucks for a 1L bottle. I tried the all glass reagent bottles from Elemental Scientific..... the quality was so poor I couldn't get the stopper to seal without a glob of grease.

I'm about ready to dish out for a couple of earlinmeyer's with a 24/40 joint and stopper, but that's going to cost about 40 bucks each for 1L flasks. In order to get a good seal I'm going to need some glindeman rings to boot...

Figured I'd drop in and see what you folks have found :)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 22:34

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
I store my ~25 ml of bromine in one of these, the one on the left with a red cap. The red caps are far more durable than the standard blue ones, which are made of PP. The red ones are melamine with a ETFE pouring ring and PTFE liner IIRC.

It still smells, though. Storing the bottle in a tightly closed plastic box filled with sodium thiosulfate might solve that problem as well as make storage more secure. Alternatively, you could store it in a refrigerator or fridge, but only if you have one dedicated to lab use.

I have no experience with storing FNA myself, but I bet my ass these ones will hold up to it. Unless those are the ones you're talking about. :P The best alternative would be to get a 100% fluoropolymer bottle. I've seen Nalgene brand bottles on eBay at very nice prices!

[Edited on 4-10-2012 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 13:07

Quote: Originally posted by CaliusOptimus  

I'm about ready to dish out for a couple of earlinmeyer's with a 24/40 joint and stopper, but that's going to cost about 40 bucks each for 1L flasks. Figured I'd drop in and see what you folks have found :)

If you are looking for bottle, take a look at the list in my thread below and there are 1 L media bottle, 1 L reagent bottles, and 1L stopper top erlenmeyers, among others, all for way less than $40 each. If you are interested, send me a u2u message for more info. Or send me an email at craigslistinnc at gmail .com for more info.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667&...

If you are in Europe, which may be the case, there was someone who posted about buying some media bottles recently. The Duran media or reagent bottles should be available, and they both work well (although the media bottles are not generally as good a seal as reagent, depending on the material).

[Edited on 4-10-2012 by Dr.Bob]
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 4-10-2012 at 17:07

Oooo... thanks Dr.Bob!

I'll send in my order shortly :)

Go To Top