Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rubber tubing resistance?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 21:42
rubber tubing resistance?

After a fair number of search engine tries and more than a few charts I thought it be best to ask you all your opinions. To be short and sweet: what kind of flexible tubing do you find holds up to general lab work the best? In particular what would you recommended for chlorine & other halogen( minus fluorine of course) gases? Opinions, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated as always.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:55

If you need tubing for general work, I'd recommend basic red natural rubber tubing. It's not very expensive, it doesn't leak gases (except hydrogen, but that's hydrogen) and it won't leak contaminants. It's pretty much enough for any regular work.

I use one piece of PVC tubing for venting halogens out. After the work is done, I blow the gas out and submerge the tubing in water overnight. If you don't do that, it starts cracking inside. It doesn't really matter which kind you use for venting out, but to spare money, always use the same one. However if the tubing is the internal part of the apparatus (try to avoid it using glass only), and contaminants need to be reduced to a minimum, use teflon... if you've got the money.

Go To Top