Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Destabilizing Silver Colloid
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 06:45
Destabilizing Silver Colloid

Hi!

For school I need to do some research on silver colloids. In order to supplement my research, I need to answer a few questions, like how much silver is formed. Yes, it is quite easy to do stuff like this- as I do have a milligram balance, so I measured the amount of silver in the precipitate and the amount of silver that is on the wall of the test tube. However, I am trying to think of a way to measure the amount of silver in the colloid. My first idea was to titrate it with nitric acid, but I decided against it. My second idea is to try to destabilize the colloid and make ALL the silver precipitate out.

Anyways- my idea is to add a chemical to break the Van der Waal's force. Maybe H2SO4? That is what I am asking. Does anyone know how to destabilize this colloid?

Thanks in Advance!

P.S. I am centrifugeless

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 11:15

You could react a known amount of the silver suspension with nitric acid and titrate it against a known amount of NaCl solution using dichlorofluorescein as an indicator. Before the endpoint, the suspension appears green, but after the endpoint, Ag+ ions adhere to the surface of the AgCl particles. The positively charged particles attract the anion of dichlorofluorescein, and the suspension turns pink.

Ask your school to order some of the indicator. That is the good part about working in a school.

Go To Top