Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SciFinder v STN
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 13-5-2012 at 00:26
SciFinder v STN

I'm confronted with a dilemma. Subscribe to SciFinder or STN. SciFinder is about $215/month paid annually or quarterly. The CAS folks are telling me the STN searches can get really expensive so SciFinder might be the better deal. I haven't used either as I date back to CAS online (Clinton era) when it was free or close to. Those happy folks that have access to both please advise.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 06:38

Scifinder is much easier to use and flat rate. If you do several searches a month, it is the way to go. Each search on STN can be $100 or more. They are all overpriced. The other choice is Reaxys by Elsevoir, which is also a flat rate, but may not be as good as Scifinder.

The key to flat rate subscriptions is using them enough to make them worth the cost. If you can be the main idea person for a lab, then it becomes worth it.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 11:05

Here's what I'm doing: I'm looking up compounds for which I have the original, usually small scale, synthesis. The compound is produced industrially. I'm trying to devlop 'greener' methods. So its a bunch of ag and pharma intermediates. Maybe they were synthesized in a university tenor twenty years ago, worked up with chromatography, etc. etc. Which of these products, scifinder, stn and reaxys is most likely to get me to the industrial methods? Any idea what a Reaxys subsciption costs?

Why is ACS now in the money making business?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2012 at 15:03

I use both Reaxys and SciFinder, they are both good, but now the SciFinder has "upgraded" and if I find a recipe in a journal what am I not subscribed to, then I can't see any detail about the reaction (solvent, reagenst, reaction time ect.), while with Reaxys these data are provided, even if I am not subscribed to that XY journal.

I have never ever worked with STN, usually Reaxys or SciFinder is fairly enough, almost everything is in their databases, but if I have to choose, I would vote to Reaxys, it is much better and sometimes it seems like it has a larger database.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top