Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for TMS and Chloroform-D
Dyno
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 19:52
Looking for TMS and Chloroform-D

I recently purchased a Hitachi R-1200 HNMR machine. I need TMS (trimethylsilane) and Chloroform-D. I do not huge amounts. I have tried looking on google but the few reasonable priced prices are out of stock. Thanks.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2012 at 20:04

TMS is tetramethylsilane, not tri. Its used as an internal calibration, to "set the scale" at 0 ppm. If you can manually calibrate your spectra (i.e. tell the machine to search for a peak and define its shift), you can use the solvent as a standard, CDCl3 coming in at 7.271ppm. You might also consider using CCl4 as the solvent if you can get it, as it'll be cheaper ml for ml (almost certainly in an amatuer setting) and you're intending to use TMS anyway so it wont hurt. Just be warned that the spectrum may look a little different than you might expect due to solvent effects.

On a separate note, Benzene-d6 makes an excellent NMR solvent if you can get it. I dont know what MHz your machine is, but you may find the extra dispersion of the peaks beneficial when it comes to assigning spectra.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 12:22

Dyno,

Roughly where are you located? CDCl3 is not as expensive as most other solvents for NMR. D6-benzene is up there with gold. If you have any reasonable "commercial" address, you should be able to buy from either Cambridge Isotope labs or Isotec, maybe even Wilmad.

Also, if you are in need of NMR tubes, there I can help you a lot. I have scads of them. Send me a PM if interested.

Bob
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 12:46

The stuff at work comes in at about £7/100ml bottle, for CDCl3. Its sigma, and although I've used CIL for benzene-d6 (yes very expensive but entirely justifiable for the clarity it brings in some cases) but we always get the chloroform from Sigma. We actually have a vending machine with Aldrich "essentials" in it. Stuff like anhydrous DMF, DMAP, NaOH, vials of chlorobenzene-d5, THF-d8, and benzene-d6 (there are probably others!), as well as Wilmad tubes and HPLC vials. I'd never seen something like that before and while its great for when you're desperate and "stores" are closed, it not often used as we try and be a little more prepared.

EDIT: I knew it was significant enough to take a picture of it!!

[Edited on 10-5-2012 by DJF90]

IMAG0034.jpg - 341kB
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 12:49

I can be of service for a short period with certain deuterated solvents. PM me your price and quantity.

ʃ Ψ*Ψ
Keepin' it real.
Check out my new collaborated site: MNMLimpact.com
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 13:04

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
We actually have a vending machine with Aldrich "essentials" in it. Stuff like anhydrous DMF, DMAP, NaOH, vials of chlorobenzene-d5, THF-d8, and benzene-d6 (there are probably others!), as well as Wilmad tubes and HPLC vials. I'd never seen something like that before and while its great for when you're desperate and "stores" are closed, it not often used as we try and be a little more prepared.

The vending machine is absolutely brilliant! :D

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 13:21

That was literally my response when I saw it! Unfortunately it doesnt run off coins, but rather a "debit card" tied up to one of the grants held by the research supervisors. Not a useable source for home chemistry :(
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 10-5-2012 at 19:49

That...That is still one of the most brilliant ideas I have ever seen. Regardless of funding, the Aldrich vending machine now represents, to me, what should be found in any Chemistry Dept. that claims to be either 'Ivy League" or to be ascribed to a "Flagship Agenda".

Awesome, "FTW", my good man.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 07:27

I have to agree that vending machine is awesome! I have never seen one like that.

We used to get most of our NMR solvents from Aldrich, but the prices from Cambridge and Isotec were much better.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 10:06

Its definately a great addition to any institution, as sometimes you'll be working early or late and need to run something (NMR, MS, HPLC) yet you'll find some helpful person has taken your vials/tubes/solvent (or you've just run out!) - This means you can still be productive and not have to wait for "stores" to open. The one time I've used it was when we ran out of anhydrous DMF I needed for a Stille reaction; scan the card, click the button and BAM!! 100mls anhydrous DMF in sureseal bottle. Could not be any more impressed.

Go To Top