Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone have spare acetic anhydride?
Maui3
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-10-2024 at 07:04
Anyone have spare acetic anhydride?

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question - I'm a new member here.

For a chemistry project, I'm looking for a small quantity of acetic anhydride (25-50 mL).

I understand this is a regulated substance, so I’d completely understand if no one wants to sell it to me.
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Dazed and confused.

[*] posted on 27-10-2024 at 07:57

Could you please tell us more about this project?

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?
Maui3
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-10-2024 at 08:46

Yes, of course!

I'm planning to create a legal (and notably weaker) analogue of methaqualone because I find its history and synthesis fascinating. I'm also working on synthesizing melatonin from 5-methoxytryptamine with acetic anhydride, since I take melatonin myself.

Although methaqualone has been used recreationally, that's not really what interests me about it.

I've posted some other projects, like making a silver mirror and a few others. I know these are things anyone could share, but I guess it’s a little evidence that I’m not exactly using this knowledge to make heroin.
bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: Dazed and confused.

[*] posted on 27-10-2024 at 12:36

I remember reading about manganese (iii) acetate as a substitute for acetic anhydride in acetylations. If you're unable to obtain the Ac2O proper, that's one thing you may try.

Edit: Correction. Just found the paper (S. Gowda, K. M. L. Rai, Manganese(III) acetate as catalyst for the direct acetylation of alcohols with acetic acid) in my mess of a folder. Manganese (iii) acetate works as a catalyst for acetylations using acetic acid, not as a substitute. And the substrate must be an alcohol.

[Edited on 27-10-2024 by bnull]

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?

Go To Top